yeah great little site. not the cheapest piece by piece but big orders or rare products and they dont disapoint.

hint dont buy from america and ship it to Canada the tax is stupid. us to japan I find i dont have to pay anything.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
slow what are you looking for?
Thank you for asking, fattwins! I need new skis to improve my ski technique. I used rossignol "fun" for almost 4years. I can ski most groomed slopes and used to enjoy carving ski. But I want to try something new. I have no confidence on the ungroomed slopes and I want to learn how to ski on the ungroomed slopes or powder this winter. So, I'm looking for new skis for it.
I had three pairs of skis before but never bought them by myself. That's why it's very difficult for me how to choose... I reseached all mountain skis on the internet and am thinking to buy rossignol Bandit B1, B2, Dynastar exclusive legend as I said before. But I'm still beginner on the ungroomed slopes or powder and not sure if I can handle them... The Wangel has Bandit B2W with Salomon S810 Ti Axe+ 78,750yen, with Diamir EXPLORE 97,125yen.
And I want to buy new gloves, too.

I'm not a skier, but have been looking around for good gloves also. Hestra (from Sweden?) seems to make really good, durable stuff. Their J website is at http://www.hestra.jp/

Stores in Tokyo that carry large stock of'em are

Haglofs Shop/Shibuya/03-5411-2522

Ishii Sports/Kanda/03-3295-3215

Pro Shop SOS/Jiyugaoka/03-3725-8172

I wrote a whole thing up and deleted it.

I would go with ski 80mm in the waist if you can. this ski type will float you through most stuff, plus give you enough sidecut for the groomed. I like dynastar alot but 75mm waist is still gonna sink if you dont understand the powder balance. Do not go B1 it is not what you are looking for at all. K2 has nothing for your needs at the moment. Their womens line is lacking a good mid fat ski. A good ski if you can find it used or new is the axis ak red ski. very light.

OH body specs sorry gotta ask slow

The only way to tell you a size.

if you arent going to hike alot dont buy diamirs they dont release as well as salomon bindings. Save your knees.

Thanks Fattwins,

I researched "axis ak" on the internet, it seems not easy to find it but I keep it in mind.

Diamirs are good for backcountry? It looks different and I realized it's not for me either.

I'm thinking Salomon Scrambler now since my friend told me I can get Salomon at half price from his friend... I don't like Salomon but if it's cheap I can try it.

Are there many skis with 80mm waist? Most of skis I'm looking at now are around 75mm...

Most good twins these days are around 80mm in the waist. I will say that normal skis ride more on the tail than twins so.... 75mm might be ok. It depends on your goals, if you are looking to get more into the powder but still carve em then go a bit fatter. 80mm plus

75mm to under will still level you up but the scale tilts a bit more the other way. withbindings withbindings withoutbindings

Thank you for finding nice skis for me, fattwins! \:\)

I was thinking Dynastar Legend 8000 after you said 80mm waist, too. Axis ak looks good, too. I would like to ask you about bindings now. From the axis link, one has bindings DIN range 3-10, and another has bindings DIN range 6-14. I checked my bindings and they were set 5. Do I need to set higher if I buy those 80mm waist skis? I'm thinking to go to Wangel next Wednesday and I'll ask them if they have Dynaster Legend or not.

montoya, thank you for the hestra link.

They look very nice. I'll check them at SOS Jiyugaoka during my promenade on my dayoff. \:\)

From the review at realskiers.com

This might be also good for me.

Dynastar Legend 8000 *

116/79/102 (20m)

A new design for Dynastar, the 8000 is placed between the 8800 (formerly a.k.a. Nobis) and the venerable 74, now known as the 4800, whose slot is shared with the also-new 6200, which, alas, we have not been able to test yet. It is on our list for the first snowfall...

To say the reviews for the 8000 were "rave" understates the case. This is a great ski, big Western mountain or not. Length is critical; ski it shorter than the ego suggests!

carve:5

skid:4

rebound:4

stability:5

straight run:4

quickness:3

lightness:3

forgiveness:3

Sorry I didn't get back to you yet Fattwins, I've been crazy busy the past few weeks and haven't had time to think about skis much, though I looked into the PRs a bit and I think I'd probably do better with something that has more of a sidecut for the piste, since it's likely to be a one ski quiver and I do like to occassionaly attempt the smaller moguls.

I met a bunch of Aussies last season in Hokkaido, one who was skiing on Axis and they seemed to be pretty good on and off piste. These guys were off piste most of the time, but could carve with the rest of them on the hill too.

I'll probably start looking more into it again next week when I have more time.

Here's another one, though smaller waist, It also got a star in the reviews. I was just getting the hang of powder last year on a pair of Sally Crossmax - with waist of 67 or 69 (can't remember), so I'd probably do okay on 75, though if you can still carve and hit light moguls etc at 80 I'm totally open to it....

Dynastar Exclusive Legend *

114/75/102 (16m)

Female-specific version of the 4800. Test skiers loved it, for all the same reasons. Does require some energy and is very stable at speed, on groomed or off. Great crud ski for females and a good choice for a "one-ski-quiiver." One of our overall favorite female skis.

carve:4

skid:4

rebound:4

stability:4

straight run:4

quickness:4

lightness:4

forgiveness:4

The PRs are 99% sold just got to get the money in hand so no problem. I dont believe in one ski quivers anymore just not visable with todays skiing. (for me)

I for some reason think that you will have a hard time finding those dyna lady skis in the stores. The companies and the stores are way behind in the ladies market. They still think ladies want a dainty cute easy ski.

If you can keep your crossmaxs as a backup I would always keep one pair just in case.

I did bring up the axis cause its light and was the basis for the phat luvs. but it is more of a gs to pow ski. western moguls fine japanese tight bumps and they are not made for it.

Any ski can ride 2 foot high bumps after that stuff over 80mms will get tougher.

Painting today oh joy

Sunrise, The legend 8000 are sold out... \:\( But you can find Exclusive legend at ICI and Wangel.

The shop guys I talked today at ICI sports and Minami sports gave me good adivice. Now I think I need 75mm waist skis. My rossi fun is worn out and I don't want to use them on the slope any more. So I need skis for under all conditions this winter. I think I'm going to buy Rossi Bandit B2(W) or Dynastar Legend 4800. The both of guys said Bandit B2 is very good for powder and groomed slopes, too. But one guy said 80mm or bigger waist skis are much more fun than 75mm in the powder and you will ultimately need them. So, after practice with 75mm waist skis, I'll get those fat skis only for powder.

Sunrise, if you still have good run with your skis you are using now on the slope, maybe K2 Axis are good for you to have skis only for powder.

Thank you for the nice advice fattwins. It helped me a lot today. \:\) I'm looking forward to your powder clinic!

a wide waist just means less angle. ?

you take longer to tilt the ski on the groomed.

80 mm is fine your radius will be longer thus you might go 10% fast than before. speed in part of making good turn on groomed or in powder. in powder if you have no speed you will just fall over.

If you want me to put on a clinic its fine I have no problems with that.

I will only go as far as nozawa sorry.

so noz or hak or takasu snow park.

all I ask for in return is a ticket for the day

and lunch handmade is always best.

I love sandwiches.

I can bring lots of skis so that you can understand what a fat, ski skis like.