Maybe he wanted to commit suicide and thought he would stick his middle finger up at the Jap.government before he did so.

Surely if he had any samurai spirit he would be saying 'forget me, I was a stupid asshole to come here and I deserve all I get'.

Or maybe he is a spy - I know the Arabs always seem to think these people are spies so either they are well paranoid or, more likely, there are shitloads of spies in there acting as charity workers etc. The arabs do dodgy stuff like hiding soldiers/weapons in mosques etc (which i believe is against the so called 'rules of war' or whatever) so I guess the allies are responding in kind.

Anyway, I think to take the story at face value is a mistake - I really dont think anyone is that stupid. Hmm...although I have met some incredibly naive Japanese people...

I haven't been following this, but a Japanese colleague earlier this evening suggested to me that the Japanese govt will consider paying off the terrorists in order to save this fellow. It will be done secretly, but Japanese people value each life and so most Japanese would support such an action. And the world in general would not know. Thats the views of Naoki Takahashi.

It's a shame they chose such a dumb victim, and the Niigata earthquake happened at the same time. Otherwise Koizumi might have been having to face up to why exactly the Japanese soldiers are in Iraq.