Looking at picking up new pants and jacket.

Can't search for SOS as it is too short and their corporate website is under construction.

I haven't had to look at buying ski clothing for almost 4 years so I am not really that familiar with manufacturers or what I should be looking for.

We get a lot of wet snow (Rain) in Oz so waterproof rating is important.

I think the pants and jacket I am looking at are rated above 20,000.

So basically is SOS a reputable brand?

How does it rank alonside Arcteryx or Marmot or Columbia

How can you even consider placing Arc'teryx and Marmot alongside Columbia?

Arc'teryx is the dogs bollox of mountain gear, but 20,000 won't get you too far on their range. Marmot will give you little for 20,000, but you'll get a more price efficient product.

Don't know about SOS, but if it's in the Marmot/Arc'teryx league, then you'll be thinking 50-70,000 yen for a jacket/pant set... unless you can find a sale item like I did (Arc'teryx jacket for 22,000! clap.gif )...

I'll second miteyaks recommendations on the Arc'teryx or Marmot. Both Brands are excellent and you will get many years of service out it. Don’t let the price deter you from thinking about it.

In fairness to the Beaver, I think he (she?? ;\) ) means 20000 as the rating of the waterproofing. Basically classic Gore or similar.

http://www.marmot.com/technology/tech/tech_waterproof.php

For 20,000 yen, the only pants and jacket set you'll get is Goretex summer raingear. That said, it's a great thing to have in Japan.

Quote:
Originally posted by slow:
http://www.sossportswear.com/

I sometimes drop in the shop in Tokyo on my dayoff.
Thanks for the link! Perfect.

Looking at the evolution endurance pants and the evolution esacape jacket. Think all up it totals 103,000 Yen, but I am buying here in Sydney at half price.

And I was referring to waterproofness rating not yen in my first post.

Thanks all.

Oh and I'm a he - just checked.

Now that's just too techie for words... ;\)

Rating waterproofness? How about, "it lets in no water whatsoever proof" (and fits in yer pocket)

The question, I think, is do you want downhill stuff, or all round mountain stuff. SOS stuff looks too bulky for the BC (not counting heleskiing, of course).

As for waterproof, Gortex XCR... my arc'teryx (plug, plug) has kept me dry in 12 hours of rain, typhoons, all day blizzards, pretty much anything weather can throw at it.

I don't know if it's of interest to you SkiBeaver, but I got an SOS Beanie at the beginning of our snow season here in Aus, and it's the best one I've ever bought. Being of the 'shaved' head variety, I'm particularly picky when it comes to keeping my noggin warm. The SOS beanie I got is wool on the outside and fleece on the inner. Even a full day of that Mt Buller 'Not quite snow' falling on my head, it was still warm & dry.

I don't know if it speaks volumes for their shellwear, but I'd certainly look at buying their products again.

I took the plunge and bought a Patagonia Dimension jacket soft shell about a month ago. Still have not had a chance to use it yet, but my initial thoughts of it are pretty positive.