I got me a good buddy who is the kind of guy who kicks up a fuss at the earliest possible moment, feels the whole world is against him and he's on some kind of crusade against everything/everyone. It is always interesting when I'm with him to see how he gets treated Japanese around him. He almosts invites people to treat him with suspicion with his attitude.

Sure, there will be cases where you'll get screwed over - as everywhere - but I'm sure attitude has a hell of a lot to do with how you are treated, especially in our situation in here in Japan.

My wife called me this morning on her way to work in tears, she saw an old lady run over and killed on the main street of Hakuba. Man this towns had a bad run lately, or maybe its just space cadets bahind the wheels. I feel bad for my wife as it can`t have been pretty to watch.

Lots of consoling need tonight when she gets home

Run over and killed!? What is it with the country drivers here eek.gif Was the driver completely at fault for it by being reckless?

Not quite the same thing but the only time I've felt as though I've been treated 'badly' because of where I wasn't from was looking for a new home last year..one place in particular made it quite clear they didn't want no gaijin in their place.

Japan seems to be quite strict on car accidents in general whether its crashing into someone or something, drunkeness or whatever.

A girl I know crashed into a post on a public car park and had to pay for the thing to be replaced as well as go on some kind of lecture - seemed pretty steep to me (and I never saw the new post actually)

Yes, my mate got arrested for DUI in Hiroshima. Had to pay 300,000 in fines, and got his license suspended for 90 days. But, if you take a class you can get it reinstated in half the time. The class cost like 30,000. It was an interesting experience to help out with but Im sure nothing compared to Thunderpants!

Quote:
Originally posted by frannyo:
 Quote:
Yes
Yamakashi - is that in reply to KlingKlangs question about the passenger? eek.gif
That same amount would have applied to the passanger had somebody been in the car. Passangers can be made to pay up to 300,000 I believe. Stiff and swift.