I would go metal shovel. I like G3 or SOS for about everything. beacon simple is the barryvox but its been recalled this year. Go with the new pieps it looks sic and its made down in your parts of the world. probe I have 260 but I would say 3ms is best.

Don't go plastic for the shovel. If you ever have to use it for it's intended use it will just bounce off set up avy debris.

Probe go for the 3 metre. The extra weight is really nothing.

Beacon can't really comment. Only ever used the Pieps Opti4 and my SOS. I'm happy using both.

Good thread there Captain.

I wouldn't go with the probe pole. A real probe can be together in seconds and a probe pole looks to be a litte finicky.

I have the BD Guide but if I could have I would have bought the G3. The same quality but I would just want to support a Canadian company.

Both have probes with measurments on them though. Nice when you want to know the depth of snow and don't want to guesstimate or when your stuck inyour tent and are bored and start measuring things.

I ended up getting the black diamond 3m probe which I have no complaints about.

I fitted my own skins and it was super easy.

The G3 tip loop was useless on my fat skis and I made some for about 600 yen that work great.

The shops in Tokyo were crap and it wasn't worth the trip. (I assume there are some good shops somewhere I just didnt find them) but I had an ummm interesting night out.

the loops were super easy, a bit of steel tube the same width as the skins. Thread through some 2mm (about 2mm i cant remember) steel rope/wire and crimp it together with a joiner thing, slide the join into the tube and your done.

For a beacon I still use the old ortovox F1 Focus as its the only one Ive used for years, tried and trusted, shovel is a lifelink with a pit saw in the handle, probe is a 3m lifelink, all my gear is older cos I cant afford to replace it and dont really see a need as its all found and dug out over a dozen people in the last 7 yrs, would like to get a new digi peips for my wife though. Dont even think about coming backcounrty with me if you have a plastic blade shovel, it will break in the first few digs in debris.

I wasnt serious but I guess you could. I had the tools anyway so I done it a home.

Yes for the SPs

I think the tube was about 50cms but I only used 95mm x 2 about 5mm diameter.

If you ask the shop they may cut it for you. They cut wood for 50yen a chop.

Quote:
Dont even think about coming backcounrty with me if you have a plastic blade shovel, it will break in the first few digs in debris.
So your saying that Lifelink, Black diamond, Orthovox and others produce and sell plastic shovels that are not capable of digging someone up if they get burried?

For beacons, looks like there's a new one out this season: Pieps DSP. Digital, 3 antennas(the only one out there I guess), longer range (60m) than other digitals such as the DTS, etc... Supposedly good for separating signals from multiple victims. A bit pricey but looks interesting. Pondering about it...