I have an old keitai and wouldn't mind changing for a new one that is sexier than what I have. It's docomo, and I'll stick with them. Is the procedure easy? Do I have this right? >>> I buy a new phone cheap, not at a Docomo shop where they rip you off, then I go to the docomo shop to change the details over from my own phone to the new phone (ie put the number on the new phone and void the old one, move memory numbers etc). Is that right? How much that costs to do that a few thousand?

Cheers

Not sure how docomo works but I was in the AU shop today getting the lady a new keitai as hers went for a dip in the sons milk!

We have always bought direct from AU because they are cheap and if you aren't worried about getting the latest phone, they have a 0yen rack where the phone is free and probably cost under a few thou to get connected.

I want to get this little beast but it came out today with a 2man price tag eek.gif

a>

I have done it before with DoCoMo and it was really easy. Just go in Akihabara or any other place that you think it is cheap and buy the new phone. You don`t have to go to the DoCoMo official store to register your old number with the new phone. The will do it at the place you bought the new one for free (that`s how it worked for me). The only small inconvenience is that you have to wait for at least 1 hour until shop contacts DoCoMo and registers the number to the new phone. They also give you back your old phone so that you can transfer your data (phone book, mails etc) to the new one.

I also thought to change from AU to DoCoMo, but the AU student`s discount rate is the cheapest deal you can get. So I stick with AU (unwillingly) for as long as I am a student.

Good luck searching for a good deal! wave.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by tsondaboy:

So I stick with AU (unwillingly) for as long as I am a student.
Why unwillingly? Most people I know only have complaints about Docomo.

its really like the Ford & Holden debate I think.

Don't new phones and old phones (from 3-4 years back) need different rates packages (coz of the features) making it necessary to go to docomo?

:rolleyes: Indosnm - so why post that message then. wakaranai.gif

rach, I don't think you do. Of course if you want to use some of the features that the new phone has that the older phone doesnt have you'll need to change the deal your on now. But it shouldn't be too difficult.

Quote:
Originally posted by dale#1:
[QB] :rolleyes: Indosnm - so why post that message then. wakaranai.gif

Dale, I said that because if she explains what she means a little better or in more detail, I (or someone here) might be able to help her out.

& for your info the "NFI" wasn't intended in an aggressive way, & I am sure that Rach wouldn't take it that way either. eek.gif

The reason(s) why I said "unwillingly" are really simple.

I am not really satisfied with the AU network coverage. My girlfriend has DoCoMo so I can compare first hand. There are quite a few cases that she has reception wile I don`t.

I also find the DoCoMo designs better that AU. Although probably I will scarcely use the mobile for something more than basic operations i.e. sending mails and making calls, that small "extra staff" like camera videoconference (is the term right?) mobile TV etc make DoCoMo mobiles look really kakkoi!!!

So basically the reason why I am sticking with AU is because it gives me a 50% student`s discount in the standard monthly fee whatever contract I choose + 50% discount for calls to AU numbers and 25% discount for calls to other company numbers.

Not for the time being I wont. I am just waiting for the new AU models to change my old device. I have it since I came in Japan and by now the battery is dead. I have to charge the damn useless thing once sometimes twice a day. mad.gif

Ive got an AU and no complaints there. I dont know any other brand that gets coverage in my part of town, and it gets great coverage in the back country, always have friends asking to borrow it as theirs dosent work.

No argues about that, I also had really good coverage in hakuba area last year. I had problems in kagura though were DoCoMo didn`t. Anyway it might not be that big difference, I guess in some parts of Japan AU has better coverage and in others DoCoMo.

By the way telleboy, I fixed the snowboard thanks for the advices! It is now ready and shiny for the new season. I will be in hakuba from 2 to 4 of Jan, so if you have time I am buying beers! Cheers

OK.

Old phone, its about 4 years old.

Want new phone.

Want to know what is involved as I presume the new phones have all these new features (eg photos, videos, etc etc) that my old phone does not have. So do I need a new contract because of that or not?

yes you would need to make a new contract, but if you have used the provider ( docomo, au, tuka) for along time you will get a cheap deal. Thats why people usually stay with the companies they start with unless they are really bad. If I was to change now it would be considerable more so its just not woth it for us.

You can still get phones without the cameras and that stuff. Does anyone here really need one?

As far as I know you don`t need to change your contract once you change your phone.

The case that I know that this is necessary is if you change from a DoCoMo phone to a Foma (DoCoMo) phone. They have different packages for Foma mobiles so you cannot just upgrade your contract.

For some options that the old mobile didn`t support but the new one does like videoconference or i-mode(=mail mobile internet), you don`t need to change contract. You can activate them by paying a monthly fee and keep your contract as is. For normal videocamera camera radio tuner etc that come with the latest mobiles, you don`t need to pay any extra money. Of course when you change mobile and want to keep your old number, you have to pay for the new device. If you don`t mind changing your number, you can cancel the old contract and make a new contract the same as the old one with a new number and a new mobile for 0 yen. There is some fee for the new contract (I think so) but it will be significantly less than paying for buying a new mobile to use it with your old number.

with docomo you still have to pay for the latest phones don't you? just the older models that are 0yen?

Rach you might want to check but your old plan could be more exy than a new one as rates have come down.

That could be a bonus for you..

How long have you had your phone? 3-4 years?

Quote:
Originally posted by scouser:
Better still, live without one, throw it away!
easy to say! Very hard to do.
although I hardly use mine at all these days, but its just nice knowing that it's there if you need it!

Try it, life might be more fun and less stressful.

I read an article that basically said keitais are pretty much useless in times of disaster (Niigata earthquake, etc) - jammed forever.... public phones were the best way to communicate. Kind of eliminates some of the "useful in times of emergency" argument for having a keitai.

You are right but for most of us emergencies might be on a smaller scale ( such as car breakdowns etc)

In such events as an huge earthquake even pay phones might be out of service too. But they can act as a clock! ( thats my phones main purpose!)