In England! Did we beat you? lol.gif

SNOW AND ICE GRIP UK

Temperatures plunged to below freezing overnight with snow covering parts of the UK.

By early morning, temperatures had dropped to -7.2C at Tindrum, Stirlingshire in Scotland and to -3.5C at Redhill in Surrey.

Much of the country will shiver on Saturday night as the mercury plummets to between -2 and -5C - lower than average for November.

Thursday night's temperatures were the the coldest of the winter so far, with the lowest of -6C recorded at Shap in Cumbria.

The first snows of the winter fell across parts of Wales, Derbyshire, East Anglia and Northamptonshire overnight on Thursday.

Up to 6cm of snow fell across the Highlands and Aberdeenshire in Scotland, with snow showers across north Wales and more predicted to fall today, again in Wales.

PA WeatherCentre forecaster Paul Mott said: "Today there will be the risk of snow coming from the west, across Wales, mostly over the hills, but there may be sleety showers over the lower ground."

He said sleet may also fall in higher ground in southern England, but much of the country would be dry, with temperatures around 3C to 6C.

AA Roadwatch advised drivers to be cautious. A spokeswoman said: "We would be saying again to take care, travel at a steady speed and to make sure you can see where you are going - don't just clear a small patch where it is icy."

In England the Highways Agency also issued a warning to drivers before the cold snap.

A statement said: "The Highways Agency's gritters are on standby ready to treat England's motorways and other strategic roads.

"Maintenance teams will be gritting in advance of the cold weather, and will continue to treat motorways and other strategic roads throughout the cold snap.

"We are advising drivers to check for up-to-date information on weather and road conditions before they set off, and during their journey."

Forecasters have predicted some relief after the weekend, with a south-westerly air flow expected to bring warmer temperatures across the UK.

The UK's coldest temperature, -27.2C, was recorded in Braemar, Grampian on January 10, 1982 and the same temperature in Altnaharra in the Highlands on December 30, 1995.

I only experienced snow once in the UK. My company was doing one of those team building/brainstorming courses out in the countryside. We were sleeping in a Mongolian yurt,put up as our first activity, so it was pretty cold. Still, it was better than the improvised bivouacs some of the other teams had built lol.gif .

You'll be getting jealous soon BagofCrisps.

We didn't get that much snow in the Bristol area when I was at school, I don't have too many school cancelled memories unfortunately. \:\( But maybe that accounts for why I'm so well-educated \:D