1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

So what exactly is a 'range'. I thought people used it for 'microwave' here. I thought I had a oben/range. If a range is a microwave, then, obviously, they're all electric.

Sakebomb, what do you mean, "You can't be gas for cooking?"

Back home I live on a farm and we have had a real old school Aga cooker for like a million years. Don`t know if you`ll have heard about them here Slow but they are by far and away the worlds best cookers, permanently hot and stoked with wood and coal. Old style from 1922 cooks things gently really well with radiant heat even fastrer than conventional cookers sometimes. Looks like this. May not fit in all Tokyo appartments!! lol.gif

Stove.jpg

I find gas is best for cooking. Instant heat not like electricity. I have worked as a chef for 13 years, never seen electric ovens or hotplates in a kitchen. Lived in a house that had electric hotplates and oven, hated it.

The oven/range is electric so not much choice there. wakaranai.gif

Farquah, that is awesome, probably have to sacrifice a room here to use it though.

Yeah, Farquah, those things are classic. My oldies have one on their farm in Tasmania. It also heats steam pipes that run through the whole house for central heating.

And I could definitely do with that in my apartment cause it's freeeeeezing \:\(

Aha! what fish can you get there?

I think fish in tropical zones are bright in color - red, green, blue etc. For me it's a bit too bright to eat lol

Sakebomb - about the size, I always wonder why all the kitchen things are this short in height in Japan!!! Sink tanks, ranges etc are all about 85cm tall which is not enough for me. It always gives me pain especially at my waists. Perhaps because we Japanese are short people? What about in your country? Range, sink tanks are about the same height with Japanese one?

Gamera, yep the Japanese benches/ovens etc are low, the standard size in Australia is about 90cm.

I worked in a restuarant here for about 12 months, after every shift my back would be aching because I had to stoop down and I am not a tall gaijin.

Started teaching a cooking and english class last week and the benches at the school seem way lower than usual. Just glad I can get the students to do most of the preperation. ;\)

Thanks for those pictures. Those cooking range look really cool!

From what I saw, I thought electric was normal in the US and England. The houses in California where my family lived had electric cooking range and the house I stayed in England had dual.

In Japan, gas is normal and electric cooking range (IH heating) getting popular these days.

They say IH heating has enough heat for Chinese food and very safe when you deep-fry, but I still feel odd about electric for cooking...

I've lived in houses that only had electricity cooking. Many many places in Oz are like that. Yep, it's true - you can cook chinese food on electric stoves. But I much prefer gas. Much better control of the heat. With electricity you have to keep thinking ahead and time your heat adjustments right cos there's always a delay.

Gotcha, sakebomb. Maybe that additional 5cms helps us to stay easy.

Slow, sunrise - I also think the same, gas is better for me to cook at the mo but also wonder when I get older, electric things are safer because even when we forget that we are cooking

when we are doing, it never causes fire? lol....