hopefully Shibuya or Roppongi? Good luck with that.They are very very expensive places to live, apartments there are outrageously priced.My friend lives in a shared aprtment with 5 others, pays 80,000 per month for a tiny bedroom and shares the bathroom and kitchen facilities....and its a shithole. GOOD LUCK \:\)

Its probably an extreme case but not too uncommon I hear. Any reason why Shibuya or Roppongi? There are places close by that would be a lot cheaper.

well the plan is to stay in a guesthouse there until we figure out where we really want to live and where we can afford etc.

from what ive heard its like party central and thats what we're wanting

Quote:
Originally posted by ngarutoa:
hopefully Shibuya or Roppongi? Good luck with that.They are very very expensive places to live, apartments there are outrageously priced.My friend lives in a shared aprtment with 5 others, pays 80,000 per month for a tiny bedroom and shares the bathroom and kitchen facilities....and its a shithole. GOOD LUCK \:\)
s87 - that is just one desperate end of a very wide spectrum. There is more to life than being a dirt poor gaijin in Tokyo. Get yourself to the other end, or at least the middle, of the spectrum. No reason why you can't. Plenty of others are there. GOOD LUCK \:\)

i generally agree with that as well but try telling that to axion lol

although im cool with spending the money to live there as long as i have a good job. if im hauling my ass all the way to tokyo why not live it up

I can't imagine why you want to go and live in the most dangerous city in the world just when Japan is entering one of its regular periods of heavy seismic activity.

Rather lemming-like behaviour if you ask me (you didn't, I know), however fun you make it sound.

Yes, in terms of earthquakes, but also population density, infrastructure, disaster planning and other factors. If you combine shaking, fires, liquefaction and tsunami with the oil storage in the Bay and the nuclear reactors nearby, it makes it one place you wouldn't really be wanting to move to.

Those periods do indeed exist. Apparently we're entering one now. I don't think it's a coincidence that there are so many 'earthquake specials' on J TV (featuring Tokyo celebrities who may need to be replaced fairly soon), or that there are ... so many earthquakes happening.

We were thinking of buying a house but we decided to wait a bit.

The rent in Roppongi or Shibuya is not cheap and I don't need to live in those areas either.

But the living cost in Shibuya isn't so bad I think. There is a very nice food market which I buy vegetables every Tuesday. It's much cheaper than local supermarket where I live and I can buy very fresh home grown vegetables. If you have a bike, you don't need to waste your money on transportation. There are some ways to save money for your party.

Good luck! \:\)

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:

Those periods do indeed exist. Apparently we're entering one now. I don't think it's a coincidence that there are so many 'earthquake specials' on J TV (featuring Tokyo celebrities who may need to be replaced fairly soon), or that there are ... so many earthquakes happening.
I hope Ishihara Shintarou is the first to be squished under the diet building lol.gif

lol its not like we're buying a house there or something.

theres no commitment to the place really. as far as i know we're stayin at a temp place like a hostel/hotel while we figure out where we want to live