• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the pertinant question here is, "What exactly will make this world a better place to live in anyway?". GW stands for pushing development and the environment in an even more unsustainable direction, and that is errrrr...UNsustainable. The problem is Greedy W:::ers-and that, as far as I can see, is what GW is all about. He was about that waaaayy before this particular Iraq war, and that's a big part of the problem.

Furm, am I right in thinking that you haven't taken any steps to educate yourself about the nature of Bush's government and the hazards it presents? When you have spent a few weeks reading books and news media, perhaps we might have a discussion.

And do please think about changing your avatar. Ask yourself if something so distracting has any merit for anybody else.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=st...reenhouse_gases

Just one reason why President Moron is a threat to the world. Everybody who has studied the problem of emissions and peak oil says it's a huge business and jobs opportunity. But the Bush White House comes out with complete shit like; '"Any reduction in U.S. GDP is serious, and would impact not only American businesses, but American families," said Michele St. Martin, a spokeswoman for the White House Council on Environmental Quality.'

I just read this very shocking and serious step towards American World Government. This is out of control. Bush's America must be stopped. The major political parties in America even support this crap. All is lost.

Quote:
WASHINGTON: Dubbed "NOPEC", the bill passed by the US Senate Judiciary Committee would allow legal action to be taken against cartels such as OPEC, said Senator Patrick Leahy, one of the bill's co-sponsors.

"The bill would allow the US Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission to file anti-trust lawsuits against foreign states, such as members of the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), for price fixing and other anti-competitive activities," said the Democrat.

"High oil import costs this year have affected all Americans in the form of record-high gasoline prices that continue to soar," said Leahy to justify the measure. The bill, just passed, would make it illegal for foreign states and their agents "to act collectively or in combination with any other foreign state...or agent" to limit the production of oil, natural gas, or any other petroleum product, or fix the prices of such products.

Legal action may be taken, the bill said, "when such action, combination, or collective action has a direct, substantial, and reasonably foreseeable effect on the market, supply, price, or distribution of oil, natural gas, or other petroleum product in the United States".

http://jang.com.pk/thenews/apr2005-daily/16-04-2005/main/main9.htm

Thank you for showing me that vid 34, I was truly touched. On seeing it, I just wanted to be American, though alas I will never feel the wonder. " title="" src="graemlins/cry.gif" />

But seriously, is that a joke? Surely it is not serious?

34, that's a good thing. The mask is coming off and they're showing their greed. And their desperation and vulnerability. Everybody knows now that the greatest army in the history of the world can be paralyzed by a few determined men with mass-produced assault rifles.

They'll just bring another oil shock down on their heads, and we'll see if Mercans are as completely supine as they seem towards their enemies in government.

That video is truly disturbing, I thought it was the parody, I read the details below and had to stop it. Chilling.

I can see America eventually isolating itself from the rest of the world through continued actions of self interest. Will they become the "new" North Korea? Maybe I am just being stupid. I'm sure some one will tell me! wakaranai.gif

Yeah, that's a great video. I hear it's topping the charts too.

Regarding NOPEC: Encouraging OPEC to play by the fundamental princples of free market economics seems like a good thing to me.

Ocean11, there is no mask. Nobody is hiding anything from you.

You guys are great. The beauty of this entire thing is that we are all allowed to disagree and even express our own views in an open forum.

Quote:
Originally posted by Furm:
Regarding NOPEC: Encouraging OPEC to play by the fundamental princples of free market economics seems like a good thing to me.
Free market economics = demand vs supply. America has way to much demand and very little supply. Those that have supply are selling at a rate which meets their objectives. This is free market. Monopoly markets are free markets. Taking a supplier to court over his willingness to supply is not free market, it is a bully tactic.

The entire objective of business is to get a temporary monopoly: look at Docomo. They are successful as they have a monopoly.

It seems that the champion of capitalistic ideals, free market price determination by equilibrium of demand and supply, is not so apealing to America after all.

I’m starting a movement to get Alaska to separate from the US and become its own country. That would rock. We’d keep our oil and make Georgie Boy look for some other pristine landscape to rape. I mean, the US is going to go down in flames if it isn’t able to fill 3% of its demand with north slope Alaskan oil. :rolleyes:

I’ve been performing some voodoo rituals in an attempt to harm Dubya. Nah, no broken arms or deadly diseases or blindness – just trying to curse him with genital warts. Look for him scratching his nether regions in the next press conference. I think it may be working.

Furm – all is good in the land of milk and honey, isn’t it? Mark my words – W and his cronies are going to go down in history books as the worst administration ever. I finally got to watch a little TV when I was in Anchorage this weekend. It is no wonder the US has become a nation of sheep. Kill, your TV, free your mind and think for yourself for once. If you can look at Bush’s work up to this point and still smile and say ‘nicely done George,’ I’m afraid you’ve really, really been taken. I’m not going to bother to list reasons for this now as I don’t have 58 hours of free time to consolidate all of the failures and lies in to a coherent document.

Onward to Iran!!! Peace be damned! :p

Quote:
Originally posted by Plucky:

I’ve been performing some voodoo rituals in an attempt to harm Dubya. Nah, no broken arms or deadly diseases or blindness – just trying to curse him with genital warts. Look for him scratching his nether regions in the next press conference. I think it may be working.
I think you got me instead.

Sorry about that. I need to work on my aim.

The inbreeding in Texas is also my bad. I was just trying to bake a cake, got some ingredients mixed up, said a couple of the wrong words and look what has come out of there recently!

Maybe I should just give up on the Voodoo.

Plucky - good luck with your secession. It is surely a novel concept that has never ever been advanced with utter failure before.

Someone whom "...finally got to watch a little TV when [he] was in Anchorage this weekend..." must really be in tune with reality.

PS did you have a chance to eat at Jack Sprat when you were recently in Girdwood? Good grub!

ocean11 - congratulations in recognizing that a monopoly equals profits for the company. You fail to acknowledge however that competition laws (look it up you seem to have zero legal knowledge and maybe too much Gordon Prather) are to protect CONSUMERS!!! In one sense, they aim to prevent BIG BUSINESSES from conspiring to fix prices and take advantage of consumers. Hence, NOPEC. Wouldn't it be nice if somebody would actually compete with Docomo to bring those horrid rates down so high school kids could afford a nice haircut once in while?

Quote:
Plucky - good luck with your secession. It is surely a novel concept that has never ever been advanced with utter failure before.
I have enough trouble mustering the energy to organize my checkbook let alone a secession movement. I was j/k

Quote:
Someone whom "...finally got to watch a little TV when [he] was in Anchorage this weekend..." must really be in tune with reality.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. I read a lot and keep up on the news via the internet, NPR and newspapers. My job also allows me some information from some pretty reliable sources, information that you won't find in the mainstream media.

Quote:
PS did you have a chance to eat at Jack Sprat when you were recently in Girdwood? Good grub!
Nope. We busted back in to Anchorage pretty quick to catch a movie at one of those eat pizza, drink beer, watch a good comedy (we saw meet the fockers) theaters. It was pretty cool! I did get a stick of jerkey at the Girdwood Tesoro though ;\)

Furm, you fail to acknowledge that it was 34 guests and not me who made the point for which you are criticising me. But, I confess, it did also occur to me that if Americans don't like the price, they don't have to buy - a situation I'm often faced with myself.

> (look it up you seem to have zero legal knowledge and maybe too much Gordon Prather)

I thought this was rather funny. You see, Gordon Prather's articles are primarily explanations of why your government has no legal basis for most of its foreign policy positions, especially concerning the nuclear threats that it does so much to encourage. Your view that Bush is making the world a better place is painfully at odds with the reality where Bush is flouting laws to which the US is signatory. Laws schmaws, who needs 'em, pffft?

I see that Bush (or some other philanthropist) may soon be extending to you the opportunity to partake in the very difficult task of making this world a better place for all of us to live in the form of the draft. Of course, Bush won't be joining you on the troop transport, nor will he be there to meet you when you come back with no legs in the dark of night. But if it means NOPEC, well, the CONSUMERS!!! will be grateful. And it really doesn't matter how old you are - your turn will eventually come. Bush's global reach has it's costs as we keep trying to tell you...

Thanks for getting rid of the avatar BTW. I appreciate it.

Furm, it seems to me that at least in my living memory, there has never been a US administration this divisive. Not only is the country split right down the middle, but the majority of the world simply loathes US foriegn policy, and realises that the invasion was carried out under false pretenses. And have you seen the latest budget and balance of trade figures eek.gif

Talk to many people from other countries when you travel and you realise there is an amazing amount of hatred for america right now.This was not the case only a short time ago, especially in the wake of 9/11. Surely the mark of any great leader is a measure of diplomacy and the ability to unite a country. I am wondering if you think this is a healthy state of affairs and are proud of the Bush adminisration's track record in this regard? Please leave your sarcasm at home and give me an honest answer, as I am truly amazed why a seeming ly intelligent person such as yourself would support Bush besides sheer bloody-mindedness or blatant self-interest.

Ocean11...sorry for the misdirection.

Dims...I agree that the definition of a good leader includes being a uniter. It is too bad that one effect of recent US actions is such domestic and global divisiveness. This, I am not proud of. I do accept it though and hope it is temporary.

I assert that the war was not "carried out" under false pretenses, but rather shoddy intelligence. The international community seems to cease its investigation at "false pretenses" because this is what they want to hear. Congress, which is made up of bipartisan individuals, saw the same intelligence the President saw and OK'd war.

Regardless of the intelligence blunder, Saddam Hussein was a threat to the entire world. He conducted mass murders, tortured inmates, imprisoned the innocent, threatened neighboring countries. His scientists manufactured nerve gases that were used in mass murders that numbered in the 100's of thousands. It is pretty difficult to find someone whom doesn't believe the world is a better place with that bastard behind bars. I believe his elimination was necessary in the fight against global terrorism. I do not think diplomacy would have achieved this goal. Many others disagree. I accept that. I guess we'll never know.

I do not like war, but I do like liberty. Liberty was taken from many Americans and non-Americans on 9/11 by "a few determined men with mass-produced assault rifles," as somebody said earlier. That pissed me off. I don't want that to happen again, in America or elsewhere.