My friend works for Kanto Jidosha - I`ll give him a boot up the arse for you next time I see him enjoy himself while the environment is suffering.

Any idea what the road toll is per year miteyak? I was just saying the other day that I had no idea what it is in Japan while at home its in the news before every long weekend or public holiday.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2003, 8877 fatalies, over 100,000 serious injuries.

That's about twenty five a day... so my previous estimate was about correct, the same number of people were being pulled from cars as from the train over the three/four day period.

Cars = a train wreck every four days... and largely preventable if the 'institution' had the will to put an end to it.

The rail system here is a great benefit to society. It's really something to be proud of.

I don't know whether JR have been putting people ahead of profit, but if they have, they've been doing a mighty bad job of it. JR (or maybe Kokutetsu before JR) at least used to be the world's most indebted company.

The full story of the crash is yet to come out, but both the driver and guard appear to be have not followed the proper procedures. JR's role is as yet unclear.

If you're going to have a go at JR, I think the other thread is right in blaming them for doing little to catch molesters. Unfortunately, this merely echoes the policing of sexual crimes in society as a whole.

• 1 month later...

Why are some people "kowai" about getting on that train today? It is probably the safest part of the Japanese rail network right now.

I can understand having other feelings of sadness for the people who died etc, but.... scared??

That's because all the spirits of the dead are calling to the passengers to join them. I don't know how they know that, or why they think all those nice people would want to do a thing like that, but apparently that's how it works. Scary huh?

It was pretty spooky just thinking how bloody fast and out of control it must have felt before the crash. Very slow and careful they were today going around that corner. It wasn't scary but I was certainly thinking about the entire senario between Itami and Amagasaki.