This is something that we found out during a beacon practice with SerreCe and NPM around new year. I had just changed my batteries that morning at the parking lot and turned my beacon on. We started hiking up around Kagura area and found a nice spot between the trees to start practicing. SerreCe had brought 2 of his PEPS beacons and I had my TRAKER. SerreCe went to hide one of the PEPS and me and NPM were left with the task to locate our buried buddy. I turned the beacon to search mode and almost immediately I got a signal from a beacon located 55 meters away from were I was standing. I started moving towards the strongest signal direction, but much to my surprise the distance was not decreasing. In the meanwhile NPM had got a signal at 18 meters from were he was and started following it. After NPM retrieved our buried buddy we started trying to find out what was jamming my beacon reception. We first turned off our cell phones and consecutively our radios too. The beacon didn’t return to its normal function even after all that. Then a friend that was passing by suggested that we should try to change the batteries too. I had put that morning the new type OXYRIDE batteries. I changed them with some normal alkaline batteries from one of the PEPS and the TRAKER returned back to normal. The PEPS seemed to work normally on the OXYRIDE batteries but the TRAKER didn’t.

Here is a pick of the almost disastrous combination.

CIMG2171.JPG

Thanks Tsonda, very important info. The DTS transmits ok but does not search properly, so if one of your buddy is using a DTS and your are counting on him to dig you out then it is worth checking the kind of batteries he is using. This is not a very well known problem either. Please note that the DTS is a great beacon and that problem may have been fixed on later models but I cannot confirm it. I wonder how many people are out there using the DTS with the wrong kind of batteries and are not aware of the problem.

Below is a link that explains what's going on with the DTS and some types of batteries:

Beacon problems

Stay safe!

I've had this problem in the past also. After talking with the Japanese distributor and BCA directly, the problem is that the oxyride batteries are too strong and the beacon is not designed for the extra voltage. I would also not use either lithium nor rechargable batteries, for any beacon (not just the tracker).

There's more info on ttips, if you're interested:

http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=14095&highlight=batteries

This is the battery recommendation from the manufacturer from the Pieps:

"IMPORTANT! Only use battery type LR03/AAA

and always replace all 3 batteries with new ones

of the same type. Never use rechargeable batteries

and always change all batteries at the same time!"

Is LR03 alkaline or could it be Lithium as well?

Looks like I found my answer:

"Device designation: PIEPS DSP

Transmission frequency: 457 kHz (intern. standard frequency)

Power supply: 3 batteries, alkaline (AAA),

IEC-LR03, 1.5V

Battery lifetime: Min. 200 h SEND-mode

Maximum range: 60 metres (digital evaluation)

Earphone socket: Stereo earphone 3.5 mm,

min. 32 ohms

Temperature range: -20°C to +45°C

Weight: 198 g (incl. batteries)

Dimensions: (L x W X H) 116 x 75 x 27 mm"

The manual of the DTS only says:

The Tracker DTS operates with three AAA alkaline bateteries. Use only high-quality alkaline batteries of identical age and brand. Do not use rechargeables.

And at the Specifications page:

・Batteries: Three AAA/LR03 alkaline batteries; do not use rechargeables

Good, I've been looking at some on eBay and the prices vary a lot depending on brand. The hiccup with the batteries notwithstanding, is the Tracker DTS a good unit? It looks to be one of the more expensive ones around, so is there any advantage over the cheaper units?

I haven’t really used any other beacon than the tracker so can’t compare it to something else. But lets say that if I had to pick to ride with someone that has a high end model beacon but hasn’t practiced searching not even once and someone that has the cheapest model around but has spend hours on it training, I would go for the later one.

There are some good info about beacons in the Pieps beacons? thread.

The Tracker is a first generation digital beacon but it deserves recognition for bringing the digital age to the realm of avalanche safety where speed is everything. Competition has since come-up with some really really good products which imho have surpassed it (range, multiple signals, more antennas, grids, etc...).

• 5 weeks later...

Dude... i just opened my transeiver pouch and found my back-up batteries nicely bundled together in a six pack via a rubber band and they are the same batteries.

cheers mate. Actually, Daver owes you some props being as he's my BC partner and all.

Daver, apparently those looking out for you are not even present.

And... I will now conduct a new test.