I think we:re in for a weird one, and predictions are next to worthless. This year has already seen record typhoon numbers, strengths, temperatures and general abnormalities to a degree that should have even clinmate change sceptics raising at least one eyebrow.

FWIW, I think we'll see wild swings this year. Huge dumps, warm spells, rain, then snow, a few weeks with nothing at all. The last few years have been increasingly unpredictable and varied... and there's nothing to indicate that the weather's about to fall back into a regular pattern.

As for the long term weather forecast, Joshnii's correct, but bear in mind that it's practically the same every year, and so general as to be meaningless. Consider warmer temperatures... less snow, well at sea level, but could be more snow at high alt. if the rainfall increases (which just happens to be one of the predictions... warmer, more rain, less snow) The percentages are so non-commital as to pretty much leave the season open to pretty much anything, however.

Four of the hottest months on record, as in warmest ever Jan, warmest ever Feb, etc., have been this year. I think the weather will change, but at the mo we must be on course for a December record too.

On the news the other day, some divers said that the ocean is very warm. During El Nino, a warm ocean can bring large snowstorms....

Reading a local UK snowboard forum (where everyone curiously talks like they are experts) I saw a discussion about some waxy winged Siberian bird being here in prodigious numbers. Records flocks in fact. This is indicative of a bitterly cold winter and I hear some people calling for the coldest one in decades. Lot of good that will do me.

More on the Japanese season: you may have noted a distinct lack of jelly fish in the Japan Sea this year. Need I say more.

Quote:
UK snowboard forum...
They might well be experts - they really have to go out of their way to find the snow, its not just jump in the car for 2 hours like it is for many of us here!
 Quote:
Originally posted by rach:
 Quote:
UK snowboard forum...
They might well be experts - they really have to go out of their way to find the snow, its not just jump in the car for 2 hours like it is for many of us here!
Not forgeting, also, that they're English... the weather's the national obsession...

You might want to check out any berry-carrying trees, if the birds have left the fruit it's gonna be a harsh one.
 Quote:
Originally posted by miteyak:
You might want to check out any berry-carrying trees, if the birds have left the fruit it's gonna be a harsh one.
YES!! all the Holly is laden with red berries. In fact, no shortage of berries of other types as well.

I have never seen so much berry action on the local holly bushes.

Mind you, I have never seen Holly before either.