He was found in the danger time though. CPR is a given on the slopes ill be brushing mine up ASAP. also thinking about an ava lung asap.

Im still unsure about where this slide actually happened but I can say this. There were rocks everywhere mostly you could see them but if he hit rocks it would/could have had a huge impact on the outcome.

This is also on the other page but

I'm pretty sure it happened on the NW slope of peak 2831 around 2700 metres

Murodo bus station is at the top left

toque_98.jpg

Like FT said there is a ton of rocks in that area so he probably died of trauma when the cornice collapsed

Tsondaboy, wearing a beacon gives you something like an extra 10% chance of survival or something like this if I remember correctly (do not quote me on this). Pray your buddies have praticed with their equipment and can dig you out quickly. Death rate is exponential as time ticks...

Sadly enough, the beacon usually guides mountain rescue to a body.

I Read the article put-up by Montoya about an avie in CO (Berthoud pass). One point I do remember vividly of the account was: "The plastic blades were useless".

So serious buddies who know how to use their beacon and who carry metal blades will probably go a long way towards increasing your safety.

FT, the avalung sounds pretty good (it is smaller now as well) but I think you are supposed to have the mouth-piece inside your mouth all the times... Not sure I could do it. Also, do you have to wear it outside your clothes in order for it to effectively extract O2 from the snow-packs?That airbag pack sounds interesting as well. That is standard equipment for some of the foreign-run heli ops in Russia nowadays... Not sure which is better. The airbag sounds less intrusive, it is like a standard BC pack with space for your gear, you pull a rip-cord just like on a parachute.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
I dont think that I could cart in an air bag into the mountains.
lol.gif fair enough. Not sure how heavy it is. I saw it inflated, the material looks pretty light, not sure how heavy the gas cartridge is that goes along...
 Quote:
Originally posted by soubriquet:
I was wondering if some of you seekers after steep slopes would find this useful, but if not, then fair enough.
Better say: Try to avoid too steep slopes, that have high potential of an avie occurance.

Good job there soubriquet! wave.gif

PS: which program do you use to do the calculation/plot?
 Quote:
Originally posted by SnowConnection:
> Ref. http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/6107.html
> A sad news:
> A 51 guy was killed by an avie on 23rd 11:30 am
> at north side (alt. 2,700m) of Jyodo-san, Tateyama.
> The six of his friends digged out him 15 min
> after the ave, but lost him after 4 hours.
> All wore avalanche beacons.
> http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/national/news/20051123i313.htm
> http://www2.knb.ne.jp/news/20051123_5299.htm

The victim was an employee of a ski shop, and professional level apline skier. A BC expert guessed a conice collapse would cause the avalanche. So far, it was too foggy to investigate the cause.

A friend of a friend of mine also suffered from an avie on Nov.26 13:40pm at SaruMata-no-curl of Mt.Oyama at Tateyama. The slope was the opposite side of Murodo, 40 degrees, 100 meter under top of the Mt.Oyama. He was safe, but he rescued his friend burried under half of his body. The cause was unknown due to thick FOG.

FYI. A freind of a friend of mine reported;

On Nov.13 Tateyama, SaruMata-no-curl had good powder snow (not so dry) covering 500m alt def from the top of Mt.Oyama. He enjoyed skiing. On contrast, Yamazaki curl was absolutely icy like a skate rink. He descended down by crampons.

Glad we got that figured out

I was a little confused as well

Not really sure why Japanese peopley use curl though. As a a cirque does not curl at all.

I could see using curl for cornice as they somtimes curl. But a cirque does not curl.

This country can be very strange sometimes

Thank you SnowConnection for the clarification. It is much easier for me to understand now. It is interesting to see how the Japanese people use foreign words which they have adapted their own way (Pan, Marron, etc...). Sometimes the new meaning is not so obvious for non-japanese like us though!

\:\)