I'm headed over to Japan to see the g/f for a couple of weeks in late January \ early Feburary. She is currently based in Shibetsu, about an hour north of Asahikawa.

Without travelling too far (ie. not niseko), any suggestions on where to ski? I can handle a couple of hours travel to a resort.

asahidake is awesome - i spent 2 days there last march. the snow quality could have been better, but the place was mindblowing. so much potential for endless powder with minimal people. if you were there in jan/feb the riding would be incredible.

and even in march you could hike up high from the top of the gondola and there was some great snow.

highly recomended

Thanks guys. Looks like Asahidake is definitely on the list! And not to worry Yamakashi, I'll blend in like I'm a local... admittedly a 195cm tall aussie local... but it'll be right! :p

Besides, who wants to go to all the way to another country to ski with people from home... I've already done whistler! lol.gif

Anyone skied at Kamui, somewhere around Asahikawa?

Quote:
Originally posted by Meanies:

Besides, who wants to go to all the way to another country to ski with people from home... I've already done whistler! lol.gif
Man you couldn't have got that any closer to the truth
Niseko is overrated. Pretty good but there is better places.

Shibetsu is only about 2 hours from Furano, which is my favorite place in Hokkaido. Everytime I go there the snow is great and there are few people. Even around New Year there are no crowds. There is a big gondola that takes you from the bottom to the top. It carries about 100 people so you never have to wait more than a few minutes. 5 minutes wait, 10 minutes in the gondola, anywhere from 10 minutes to 1 hour for the descent, repeat, repeat, lunch, repeat, repeat ... you get the idea. I love it.