I like that area - all year. When I went to Houdaigi the snow was excellent, I think they are known for getting good conditions over there.

I would recommend the La Neige place as well (in places to stay) - very friendly, nice place and right on the slopes.

Actually Gunma is renowned for it's powder snow, better than a lot imagine.

Houdaigi will be good, but have you considered Tambara or Tanagawadake Tenjindaira, both have got far more snow than Houdaigi.

Tambara is maybe better for families, whereas Tanagawadake is better for the more advanced skier. Houdaigi I can't comment on never been to it.

Anyway, have fun where ever you decide on.

Sorry to bust into this thread but hodaigi was the worst resort I ever went to, I cracked a rib on the really bad ice that covered everywhere.

A month later and I cant get a good nights rest.

Tenjindaira is pretty good though. But I think unless you have a car its pointless to go to that area.

Houdaigi is a nice family style resort - and bigger than Tenjindaira (though most places are).

merryjim what kind of place are you looking for?

Quote:
Sorry to bust into this thread but hodaigi was the worst resort I ever went to, I cracked a rib on the really bad ice that covered everywhere.
Hardly the resorts fault making it the worst ever is it? I bet conditions were similar at all places on that day....

Nice little place merryjim.

130cm of snow compared to 320 at most of Yuzawa just 30 minutes away. If you are in that area Tenjindaira is much better.

The long run is ok for beginners and children I guess, but if I had a child I would not bring it to the ice rink to learn how to ski.

Quote:
Them times are a changing.
Oh, ok. Right.

Quote:
130cm of snow compared to 320 at most of Yuzawa just 30 minutes away. If you are in that area Tenjindaira is much better.
In my experience, Houdaigi is consistently better than most of Yuzawa (apart from Kagura).

And Tenjindaira as a resort is a bit of a joke. Depends what you are looking for merryjim - backcountry or a fairly small decent family style resort?

Quote:
The long run is ok for beginners and children I guess, but if I had a child I would not bring it to the ice rink to learn how to ski.
Just don't go when it is "ice rink" conditions.

OK over to you for your witty final word that you like so much YellowSnow....

merryjim, the snow over there is often really good and I reckon it is often better than what is on offer at town resorts in Yuzawa on the other side of the mountains at the same time. There will be times when the snow is less than great - isn't that the case everywhere? - but when there's fresh snowfall it is often of the nice powdery variety up there.

Absolutely Mina2, because in general Gunma is actually colder than Niigata, hence not as much snow, but still more than enough, and what does fall is much lighter and drier.

Anyone who is raving about Tenjindaira as a resort needs questioning further! Great views and apparently great backcountry, but as a resort it is tiny and not very interesting.

• 2 weeks later...