I'd just like to throw out a big thanks to everyone who helped with advice before our recent trip to Hakuba, especially about the driving from Narita, and all the other offers of help with transport and accomodation (we travelled OS for the first time with our baby).

SJ rules, as far as I'm concened, as a resource for planning all aspects of snow travel in Japan. Keep up the fine work.

Special thanks to TJ OZ and Tim, our hosts, who helped out enormously with our baby's needs, and also to Fattwins, who helped translate for us at the medical centre, after my wife got hauled off the mountain by Goryu ski patrol with a sprained ankle (if your still wondering, FT, it turns out she wasn't).

Hope to be able to get back there soon... two weeks was not even close to enough time to really enjoy the place and the people.

I couldn't understand a word he or the doctor were saying (except when he lapsed into Canadian, eh), but she got treated well, and was back on her skis in a few days, even though she hardly ever wore the splint the doc gave her, and spent the next couple of days walking aroung Nagano and up the path in the Monkey Park.

Took us a while to find the entry, it isn't marked on the highway (in English, anyway), until you've already turned on the road up to the park entry. We ended up doing a tour of Shiga Kogen first, then overshooting on the way back, before pulling into a service station where the guy pointed to the intersection and said, "turn left 200 metres". After that, a piece of cake.

They nearly scored a camcorder, but we escaped scot-free...