maintenance question - rust in the edges/base of a ski?

hi to all... just a couple of questions regarding ski maintenance, if youd allow...

i had my ski delivered back home via takkyubin, and since i usually come home really late during weekdays, it took about a week before i finally got it. well, when i took it out of the ski case, some parts of the edges/some parts of the base were blotted with "liquid rust."

what would be the best way to get rid of them? should i get one of those "edge scrapers/sharpeners"? if i were to get an edge sharpener, any recommendations?

also, when i was looking through the shops, these things have some specs, like "88/89," "89/90." at the moment, all im doing is "kisou-ski" (basic/fundamental skiing) - what would be the best type to get?

thanks!!!

you can get them from ski shops. It looks just like a normal rubber/eraser that you use to rub out pencil. PRetty cheap. If you ask in a ski shop they will show you the stuff for rust, and you'll pick the eraser out pretty easily \:\)

A bit of rag and a splash of methylated spirits will remove it without too much trouble.

Also good to remove grease build-up around bindings, use in camping stoves, and as a last resort campfire drink!

Tohoku Bum, my Nitro board edges rusted up badly after an overnight on my roofrack driving back to Hiroshima from Nagano. Granted, that was in the exposed air, but my Burton sitting next to it and my gf's board both faired much better, with only light rust that came off very easily and would have come off on the snow. My Nitro, however was quite set in, and would definitely not have come off with my next day out on the snow. Bad quality steel in the edges is the only assumption I can make.

• 3 weeks later...

A good thing to do especially if you use a roof rack. When you get back home rinse your skis in the shower the dry them with a old towel. Finish by letting air dry. Road salts can really destroy your skis.