I do not think I can post the article due to copyright issues, but basically if I understand correctly they were introducing foreigners who had settled in Japan and had helped to attract tourist to J land directly or indirectly. Andrew was pictured there along with a couple of Aussies from up in Niseko and a whole bunch of other people I did not know. According to my better half's succint translation, they were giving a summary bio of Andrew, how he came to Japan after Uni etc...

Ok, where's the first bid for that pic? \:D

Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:
My dartboard needs a new picture :p lol.gif
You'd need a good aim because its only about 1cm across. As SJ1 says, its a bit of a mug shot.

SJ1 is in there with some high profile gaijin in Sara from Obuse and Alex Kerr. Pretty much the first half of the article is about ski tourism, starting with Niseko and then onto SJ1 and SnowJapan. Again there was far more focus on Westerner visitors than the more numerous Asian ones, but that's Japanese attitudes for you.

In keeping with his books, Alex Kerr managed to get in a one-liner about the need for natural and cultural conservation.
  • SnowJapan Admin

Yes it wasn't just about winter sports. Actually I had met the reporter guy before and this time we sat down and I talked a lot for the best part of 3 hours, so I was expecting it to be a more about winter sports than it was. But he did mention that they might be doing something else as well, so some of what I said may turn up another time.

While I'm always very keen on getting SJ publicity and doing all kinds of things to get the word out, I'm much less keen on the personal angle stuff (but realise they often want some of that too). But I definitely need to get a half decent official pic ready to send in case they insist on running one lol.gif

The Nikkei has been picking up on the foreigners in Japan ski resorts recently. Of course, Niseko is a focus, but last December they did an article on what Goryu in Hakuba had done to attract non-Japanese customers, with a piece (and photo) on Pod, the new foreign-owned bar in a yurt up on the slope. Didn't save a copy though.....