If anybody this season is looking to ride / is used to riding BC in the following areas:

* Tenjin

* Charmant

and is looking for somebody to tag along (in the right conditions), please give me a shout.

On most week-ends I will most likely not have access to the net.

Looks like at least a couple of weeks may be needed to start contemplating either areas, but it is good to start thinking about the planning anyway.

Veronica, it is kind of close to Myoko-kogen, but on the ocean side of the Hiuchi (spelling) mountain range. Small spot, was mentionned by somebody in one of the earlier threads I saw, Muika-san maybe. Been wanting to go there for a while, looking to discover new areas, and I like small quiet spot off the beaten track. thumbsup.gif

Indo, Muika, great! 3 sounds like a crew already. Let's keep an eye on the condtions and try to plan something later on in the season. I will try to see if I can find somebody with local knowledge to join us which would be really helpful. I will start planning on how to get there, etc... Muika, how far from Yuzawa is Muikamachi? We may be able to car-pool.

Funny thing is I was expecting more interest for Tenjin from people since it is a lot more well-known (although there is a bit of fear factor there). Great to find people interested in checking the same places anyway.

Hope to catch-up soon this season guys.

Muika, if on the way from Yuzawa, can pick you up then.

Hope get some interest going for Tenjin as well after ny.

Oh Kuma, you're in then. Good stuff.

Looking fwd to meeting all of you.

Will keep an eye on the conditions over the next few weeks and will try to pick an auspicious time.

Charmant the ski field is not steep, but is a great little place. Its the friendliest gelende I've been to by absolutely miles. They basically stopped grooming a few years ago. It sounds like they had a bit of bother with bureaucrats when Nou became part of Itoigawa, but I think it all got sorted in the end.

Daisuke Sasaki was once pointed out to me when we were there.

You can get there in about 100 minutes from Hakuba. Its basically behind (i.e., west of) Arai and gets Arai levels of snow. There is a lot of bc above the ski hill.

BoardBaka, I will weight my Tanker with lead and put the hard plates on. Just kidding m8, looking for some pow, so will stay with the soft bindings. Sounds like ur a bit a carver though.

Interesting Mr W, thanks. Yes, does not look too steep but sounds like a relaxing little place. Looking forward to it.

I might also be up for it. I'm in Niigata so a bit out of the way for you guys but I could either meet you there or get picked up on the way.

It is a fun little place, sounds like this year more fun as well.

• 2 weeks later...
 Quote:
Originally posted by SerreChe:
Cheers SS.

Gents, have uploaded a couple of Charmant pics in SJ. Does not look that flat to me...
Nobody said is was "flat".
I said it was "not steep".
I would never call a ski resort "flat". I think its kind of stupid.

Charmant Hiuchi is top left in this topo. I've been there four or five times in total. You can have a great laugh there, but if Niseko is "flat" (this forum's word, not mine) then so is Charmant Hiuchi. You can't have it both ways!

http://watchizu.gsi.go.jp/watchizu.aspx?id=55383055&slidex=0&slidey=0

While Charmant is to be commended for opening all of their terrain, I don't think most of it is steep enough to carry a major avalanche threat. This is probably why they open it.

Mr W, I was not criticizing your comment about flatness there, just said it did not look "that flat" which I guess is kinda similar to "not steep" lol.gif

Anyway, just semantics, no biggy. Thanks for the topo, it is great ! Somehow I still think you can get more steepness in the Charmant BC if you know where to go whereas it sounds impossible at Niseko.

Just the mountain to the right off the parking lot when looking uphill is steeper than anything you can get at the big N I believe. Anyway, not trying to compare both spots nor to revive the big N "is flat" thread.

Mr W, would you happen to know somebody able to guide in the Charmant BC by any chance?

Not sure NPM. Trying to find somebody who knows the BC there and then find a date to go. Since as of the latest I may be out of Japan for most of Feb, I am not sure exactly when, but I would like to get the ground work ready first. Will keep you posted.