OK so it seems that we are in for a rather late opening this season for most places. Let's positive.

But out of interest, anyone know what the worst case was before now, as in the latest the main places (Hakks, Nozzles, Shigak, Yuzawa and the like) have been able to properly open up?

FT - A couple of the skaters I met at Omachi were going to be working on the snowmaking at Happo this winter.

Last night was really cold,easily cold enouugh for snow making - so was Happo making snow to cover the lower slopes last night (or recently)?

I don't know how they do it here, in Europe it's just water sprayed out finely when the temperature is low.

I'd say open is any chair running. early season is just that, early... on thin snow. If a chair is turning, the resort is open. imo. open doesn't = good.

But I don't have any records of late-openings, I only remember seasons of not skiing before christmas break. I bet I have more than 10 seasons in my life where MY ski season didn't start until after the holidays. this winter is not strange to me.

I've only been in Japan for 2 seasons (this is my 2nd), but I remember the locals last year round December telling me that I wouldn't be able to start snowboarding until January... Snow came early in December and everyone was really surprised, most people hadn't even changed their tires yet.

I'm just guessing but could it be that everyone is comparing this season with the exceptionally early season of last year? I don't know well, but most Japanese people seem to assume that the season starts in January.

true that. but I remember two years ago it started at christmas time and kept fricking snowing until feb. my two winters thus far show me the first one to two months of snow season in japan kinds of steadily drops flakes. Not puking west-coast style, but steady/cold snow.

Turned up to work at Kurohime on the 25th Dec, back in about 1996. Wasnt enough snow to open then but it arrived just in time for New Year and had a good season.

1998 wasnt that great for snow though. Some years it comes sooner than others but when its late people tend to worry that its going to be a bad season. The snow will come, just need some patience.

I remember 96/97. That's unfortunately the year I picked to try Hakuba. At New Years, Happo had probably under a meter at the top and just about nothing at the bottom. This years not that strange yet. Last year was the strange one.