Taken from Niseko Now! report:

"It's weird that in Japan they will often under report the amount of new snow because Japanese will often not drive to a resort if there has been a lot of snow!! Go figure!"

Really?

Eventhough Niseko is one of the best/most famous powder kingdoms in Japan where buckets and buckets of dry snow fall on the place, which is obviously quite needed for that famous powder Niseko is known for, and all that snow keeps people away?

So in order to attract people they under-report snow depths?

• SnowJapan Admin

Very possible yes.

Unrelated but a similar kind of thing concerning reporting. Unfortunately, some places like to report what they think sounds best. I know of some places that sometimes tell blatant lies about the weather and conditions. And conveniently leave out anything that might sound less than positive. It really annoys me.

We have actually already had a business complain to us about something on our reports because, quote "it doesn't sound good". Even though what was written was absolutely totally correct and how things were. We triple checked what was on our report and feel 100% justified in what was said so I told them where they can put their 'doesn't sound good'. They're going to have to live with us, I'm afraid.

I should really name them...

• SnowJapan Admin

Probably! (Not necessarily a resort, thursday).

They are simply (at least occassional) liars scrambling around for customers. It's not good.

I think I'm just going to ignore them and not be kind to them.

Quote:
Originally posted by thursday:
Or guess. WHoever gets it right wins a pass at that resort.
lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

working up there I had to call around to get the snow info from each resort and they always seemed pretty accurate according to my boot, knee, or waist level happyglass.gif

I've seen some lies in action. I remember once last season the Naeba site said it was snowing and there was tons of fresh snow. The truth could not have been further from that - sunny and icy conditions with apparently 0cm of snow overnight (what the locals told me). They said it had not been snowing for 3 days. I never trust what I read on the Prince websites now.

Thanks for the great now reports on here folks. Read them all, every day \:\)

Yeah, I do. I can't remember exactly but on that day the report for Yuzawa was right (cold and cloudy) but didn't mention Naeba which is 40 mins away so I though it might be snowing up there because of what was on the Prince site. Anyway we took the chance and were really angry to find out that there was no sign of snow. Reports can get things slightly wrong, and things can change quickly but this seemed to be totally fabricated. Unless the locals were lying of course ;\)

Happily, this season we have that new Naeba now page to cover that area better \:\)