Quote:
Originally posted by samurai:
just an update. skied zao sat and sun and with all the flack it gets I should give some props for one of the best openers I've ever had anywhere. two days, deep snow, all mine!! most chairs were closed, but skiing what they accessed from the chairs that were available proved a very worthy incentive. Nailed about a dozen lines from the top of Utopia all the way down, alone. waist deep in the steeps, combing tracks next to my own, watching my old tracks slowly fill, wondering why I was the only one...
mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Tohoku, and especially Miyagi people, just back from a trip up to Kurobushi Kogen. The road is now open, and they were getting ready to open this Saturday (9th). Yeah.

There was about 20cm of pretty heavy wet snow at the bottom, and it's probably snowing there now. The groomers had been out, and coverage was complete. I'll probably be going up on Monday for a bit of a de-rusting session.

And the good news is, I finally had an email from my ex-, saying that the boys are coming. I'll be collecting them from Narita on Wednesday. I'm absolutely stoked about that.

Quote:
Originally posted by soubriquet:
And the good news is, I finally had an email from my ex-, saying that the boys are coming. I'll be collecting them from Narita on Wednesday. I'm absolutely stoked about that.
that's wicked man! clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif

how long are their holidays? do you have lots of skiing planned?

Nope. I teach at weekends, so it will be Monday. In January I may cancel my Sunday class on the grounds that access to the mountain village is too hard. Then if daver and samurai want, we can go up to Onikobe or Kurobushi Kogen.

• 2 weeks later...

Time to revive this one.

I`ll be driving to Kurobushi Kogen on an almost daily basis until Late January. The exceptions are Saturdays, and really bad weather. Two seats can be arranged from Higashine station (or the bottom of the mountain for Miyagi people) and back for anyone asking.

Miyagi Onikobe is also on from the New Year, but this will depend on weather. The top lifts are shut and there`s no point travelling unless conditions are good.

i'm in for giving onikobe a try, you speak highly of it. can we get samurai on board?

what's it like? lots of snow? what's the terrain like? are the trees thick like many of the other areas up here or are they nicely spaced?

I`ve been to Onikobe twice. Both times I had heavy snow, and the upper part was only open for acouple of hours.

It is set inside a caldera. The lower slopes are wide and easy. These are separated from the upper part by a couple of very steep runs. The upper part has a run along the rim of the caldera, and there is an open bowl behind it.

soubriquet_76.JPG

I`m not tree-skier, so I really can`t comment, but there seemed to be plenty of space. Here`s the ridge and the trees.

soubriquet_15.jpg

Onikobe snow is qualitatively drier than in Yamagata.

• 3 weeks later...

Any of you Zao folk know what the tiny Liza is like? I'll have a few days there coming up, though it seems more likely better to get to one of the other Zao's. Zao Onsen I think is 25 mins drive (gotta get a car!). Also, if anyone wants to meet up let me know. I'll probably be back to pick some brains. No date yet, maybe early Feb snow depending....? Or possibly later in Jan?

fis races are famous for cow-bells. I've never actually been. I have only seen on tv. Every race I've seen has had mad spectators with enourmous cow-bells. I have been dreaming of witnessing an FIS race for more than 20 years. I grew up with my face glued to the TV, dreaming of cranking turns like that. I ski alot, but never have I had the opportunity to catch a world-class FIS race. They have come through my town randomly maybe 8 or 9 times and I couldn't make it. I searched my local ski shop to no avail. I may make my own. I'm just sooo fricking excited to see my first fis race!!! can't believe it's at a tiny resort in japan. who'dathunkit?

cowbells anyone? Other than the damn watch-out-bear-here-I-come crap? something bigger than your hand?

I may go to JOY and buy some copper. do they sell copper sheets at JOY?

I have two weeks. ENORMOUS COPPER COW BELL PLEASE!!! I'm a fricking 5 year old going to my first FIS race!!! Where's my cow-bell?

Next year's christmas request= cowbell. ;\)

cow-bell clap.gif

cow-bell clap.gif

cow-bell clap.gif

cow-bell clap.gif

Zao Liza ??????????? WTF?