I went to 3 different shops over the weekend and each one told me different things about how long my ski poles should be - when holding them the lower part of my arms should be level / slightly up / slightly down.

I'm interested to know what skiers on here think and how big their ski poles are compared to body.

Cheers

Boarders can call them what they like, but skiers mostly call them poles.

I was taught to turn them upside down, and hold them below the basket. Your forearm should then be parallel with the ground. A few cm either way really isn't that critical. Longer ones are better for, ahem, poling (should that be stocking?), and shorter ones for massive angulation in those radical turns.

I've stuck by the shoes on/ fore-arm level theory for 29 seasons. Works pretty well, and I'm finicky about that stuff. some skiers go longer to justify their lifters under their bindings. some skiers go shorter to bring their upperbodies more forward; if skiers feel they are in the back seat, they may cut their poles a centimeter. If they feel they are bending at the waist, they may go longer. Nonetheless, start level.

any stock aluminum pole can be cut by removing the grip. (place the pole between your door and its frame, close the door on the pole just below the handle, pull the pole.)

Quote:
Originally posted by Bushpig:
 Quote:
Originally posted by soubriquet:
OK then, how about "Poof Sticks"?
Theyre nice for smacking boarders upside the head when I go flying by em :p
 Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:
 Quote:
 Quote:
OK then, how about "Poof Sticks"?
Theyre nice for smacking boarders upside the head when I go flying by em :p
or releasing your skier-buddy's binding as he's about to load a lift. :p
 Quote:
lol.gif

Elaborate quattro?? What, that skis are gay? ;\) :p
agghhh. he actually said it. remind me to never break trail for you on any entrance or exit in our out of the goods. Keep walking straight... ;\)

call them poof sticks if you want. But at least i don't carry a fag bag like most boarder do around here. What gives with the chalk bag any way. You dam sure not climbing any thing.

Quote:
Yo samurai. Are you up for any trips to Kurobushi Kogen or Onikobe? Don't expect me to keep up, though. Daver's in.
yeah, I'd like to figure out some trips this year. go somewhere other than my home hill and get freaking rowdy. itsu???
 Quote:
Originally posted by samurai:
 Quote:
lol.gif

Elaborate quattro?? What, that skis are gay? ;\) :p
agghhh. he actually said it. remind me to never break trail for you on any entrance or exit in our out of the goods. Keep walking straight... ;\)
Of course I said it! Come on! He was fishing for it! ;\)

I also, know no gaijin boarders who use those things. Put that one down to Jboarders emphasis on style over substance. Not a boarder thing.