• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My town translates are 6 town, but it means bollocks all.

I know both well and Nozawa is certainly the nicer. Compact nice little village with lots of of onsen, nice main street, lovely skijo up the back. Yuzawa has a great big flipping shinkansen station plonked down. I like both but if it is onsen Japanese experience you are looking for, Nozawa easily wins.

Someone mentioned Karuizawa.

THAT IS NO PLACE TO SPEND A VACATION! Nor is it a place to do anything remotely consitered skiing, unless you are talking about the equivialant of riding a Tokyo rush-hour train with a waxed floor for 5 minutes intervals, repeated all day.

And unless you are so shallow that you have nothing left in your life to bring you enjoyment by buying overpriced status symbols from pretentious shops, AVOID KARUIZAWA!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Oyuki kigan:
you are so shallow that you have nothing left in your life to bring you enjoyment by buying overpriced status symbols from pretentious shops
Well put! I guess that's why I liked the place.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Markie:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Oyuki kigan:
you are so shallow that you have nothing left in your life to bring you enjoyment by buying overpriced status symbols from pretentious shops
Well put! I guess that's why I liked the place.
Sounds like the place for me.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Markie:
Zhang Ziyi? Way above my league, bro....just like 90% of the women in HK and China and 100% of the women in Japan.
So you're not very tall then? I'll intro you to some short women then.

there are flights from HK to matsumoto now I believe markie. My point was that you can get to anywhere by shuttle if you arrange it.

Im a fan of Nozawa and ive said it before its dying at present. Everytime i go another lift is gone. Everytime i go my favorite place to eat is gone. Good-luck finding a bar ive been there many times and i still have a hard time. The onsens are nice but, if thats all you are selling then?

I should need sometime to digest the threads here. May be I should take Creekboy's summary of places and look into the resorts.

It will be for top clients in the financial industry so I guess they have expensive taste. No family, so the very large, family-oriented place may not fit, probably somewhere exclusive with good snow, nice runs,nice accmmodation, facilities and F&B outlets. Onsen will be a big plus, of course.

I worked in party design in London in a past life and my company did one job in Davos Switzerland at the World Economic Forum for exactly the same type of people you work for hkgal.

I think Laniege in Hakuba as recommended by FT would be the ticket. Great location and a real alpine environment. If they go to St Moritz in Europe then they'll expect the higest possible quality. As far as I can tell this would be the best bet. They want to go to Japan for the snow and a bit of uniqueness, provided along with the comfort and professionalism of a place used to accomodating wealthy international clients.

Honestly speaking, I don't know much about the place, but it seems like the best option given your task. Nothing wrong with your English-damn good if you ask me.

No hkgal it's way outta my budget range and I like to stay with friends and meet new people mostly anyway.

Anyway, regarding the Japanese flair, looking at the photos and the write-up there seems to be little at La Niege. Thing is though, in Japan there's an overwhelming sense of being in Japan anyway, if that makes any sense. Too much Japanese flair may make for cross-cultural communication difficulties, and the "not accustomed to foreign guests" type of thing, which I imagine you'd be trying to avoid where clients are involved.

If they don't want to eat French food and drink wine every night, I'm sure you could sort out visits to Japanese restaurants and so on.

Based on my experience and looking at La Niege, they may even want something more upscale. Whenever my old company did this type of thing the clients wanted places to themselves as much as possible, if not exclusively too. I suppose you have a pretty generous budget for planning this event.

If Niseko has something better that fits your needs, I think it may be the right place. Easier to get to from Hong Kong too from what I hear.

I believe clients are mostly westerners but are living in Asia. Is there any place in Niseko which is good for those kind of people? I only have very little info from boss so need to get more to get going.

What is the best way to go to Habuka from HK? Bus from Narita? Any one knows a good travel agent/ski trip organizer in Japan who can communicate easily in English? May be I should get my boss to send me for a fact-finding trip!

My folks love Japan and we go almost every year. We are thinking of next April, will it be too late for skiing? But of course, we are on the no drill budget!

I think if your boss is such a keen skier, he'd do the research himself and give you the destination to book.

Don't know what a no drill budget is but if it's no thrills, then you're not going to have that much fun. April is still skiable but the snow gets a bit wet and heavy. Best time to go is CNY, best snow, unbookable flights, chocker hotels, etc.