Hi,

I am from HK and I am researching a top class ski resort for a client event in Feb/Mar. My boss wants everything the best! I know very little about the resorts, accommodations, etc. and that is why I came to this site. It would be a great help for any advice.

Thanks a lot!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if this is your first time, you're better off getting some help from the operators based in the resorts. There are lots of Australian operators jumping for this kind of business.

Do some research on the types of resorts reviewed here in SJ, decide on the convenience of travel arrangements, and how far/near you people want to be from Tokyo.

--What FT said. ...If he's a hard core skier, then the mountain would be the most important thing right? But if he's a fat-cat who wants to experience skiing and Japan a bit, then facilities are most important. Sounds like the latter but we need more info.

More advice-- 'advice' is uncountable.

Hi hkgal,

My suggestion to you is Nozawa Onsen based on how I see HK people about Japanese ski resort.

- brand name: tell your boss this place is one of the Mt.6 of Japan. If he doesn't understand, simply tell him it is very famous among Japanese skiers.

- Natural hot spring

- Traditional Japanese village taste

- Quite a few local, small & cosy Japanese restaurants around to spend your nights

- Many souvenir stores around where one can easily find name of the place printed on mugs, towels or whatever small enough souvenir items.

- Day trip (e.g. snow monkey watching) to other places are available for guests who don't ski much.

- Direct transportation b/w airport and resort is easy to arrange

You mentioned the word 'best' resort, which means to me a good budget is available for this trip. If so, take thursday's advice and get yourself an operator or HK local tour group to arrange details for you.

Your boss cares less how much effort you actually put in. It is the smile on guests'face that decide your year-end bonus ;\)

yes but we still need to find out what best resort means really.

If you are looking for the best hotel le niege is about the best anywhere. Hakuba

If you are looking for resort experience Niseko has kinda got that on the go.

Nozawa is a culture trip not much in the way of a resort really. If you arent into things Japanese its not really going to cater to you.

If you are looking a resort resort then club med in Hokkaido or Neaba prince.

Many resorts Hakuba, Yuzawa

Again advice given with skinny details is not good advice.

ok, the hkgal has said that she doesn't know much about skiing, or Japanese resorts, so doing her own research may not be that helpful if she doesn't know what she is looking at!

The situation seems pretty clear: boss wants 'the best' to impress important client on a ski trip to Japan.

This means that the boss also is NOT a hardcore skier or he would know what to ask for, and also know that the best hotels and best skiing are not always in the same place.

A businessman is not going to be ripping the backcountry, he wants the best hotel facilities and to feel that he is skiing at 'the best resort in Japan' (even if he is just going down intermediate runs). The actual skiing would only be a part of such a trip

So what is the most 'impress your also middle-aged businessman client' place to stay in Japan?

Preferably at a large / high / most beautiful resort (or most.. somthing).

(I have no idea, as if it answers hkgals question it is way out of my price range)

>ok, the hkgal has said that she doesn't know much about skiing, or Japanese resorts, so doing her own research may not be that helpful if she doesn't know what she is looking at!

yeah, and I knew fack all bout China and SE Asia but if you bother to read AK there's an abundance of info out there...

well, somebody else can do the laundry then ;\)

...though as other peeps mentioned more info would make it easier to give her answers \:\)

I wasn't saying hold her bloody hand and pick which room to stay in, just that her question is pretty clear.

I'm not saying we should do the work of a corporate event organiser, or that she shouldn't get a tour operator to organise it anyway (asking for opinions on a forum doesn't quite match up with her budget, it seems), but if i knew which resort was best for an 'executive stay' it only takes a one word answer.

er, what's a forum for?

sharing information?

Just because they are a cluless corporate person seeking a executive-impressing trip doesn't make them less deserving of a helpful answer than someone wanting to know a good cheap place to stay or where to get the best off-piste in January.

Both could 'do their own research' or they could ask on a forum that is for people wanting information about snow in Japan.

Advising on too little information and assuming the rest is likely to lead to mis-information which would do the opposite of helping.

I'm just saying I've said enough until there is more information from the gal to work on, instead of me giving the wrong advice coming from the wrong angle.

OK, I'll buy into what AK 77 says, so here's my two cents.

I've been going to Japan for skiing for quite a few years now so I know a bit though I'm no expert. I've also arranged and booked packages for many of my friends in Hong Kong. So much so that I'm considering doing this professionally and giving up my current job.

HKgals, when you say your boss wants "everything the best", what does everything include? Here are some questions you may want to ask him and tell us before we give you suggestions:

How good a skier is he?

Does he was a ski coach or guide?

How good is his Japanese?

Will he have a Japanese guide if he does not speak Japanese?

Will he be going with others? family?

Will they what onsens?

Will he want non-ski amenities such as shopping, eating, drinks and socializing?

My first thought of a resort which scores high in many of those questions is Arai. Too bad that's closed now.

Another place that comes to mind is Windsor on Lake Toya for those who are not concerned about costs but want lavishing luxury, but not too great skiing. That place just has to be my future honeymoon location.

Anyway, give us some more information and we can make better suggestions.