Do any of you guys have any problems like up in Zao with tats?

I an planing on getting my first one. But I like onsen after a good run on the slopes. Often I am in a group so we all hit the onsen together.

I know rotenburo owned by the hotel will be no problem. What about the full onsen?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by panhead_pete:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
these days it does not seem to be a problem anymore.
I hope not :rolleyes:
some places still have signs that mention if you have a tat you cant enter. Dunno how strictly enforced it is - prolly depends on the arseholes in the onesen at the time who go and tell management.

I did a translation recently for a sports club in Yokohama where you have to register each one of your tattoos and have it vetted. You also have to sign a disclaimer agreeing not to make a fuss if you are thrown out when somebody complains, without refund of your subscription. If you're found with a new, unregistered tattoo, you'll just have to go jogging or something.

Perhaps they don't want people with tattoos to enter because they feel the majority of their customers do not like it. Seems reasonable to me.

Quote:
I am planing on getting my first one
Why?

>Perhaps they don't want people with tattoos to enter because they feel the majority of their customers do not like it. Seems reasonable to me.

Really? I had a discussion with about 10 old men in the sauna last week and this topic came up...a mate of mine wanted to join but was denied cuz of his tattoo. As a foreigner, I dont understand what the big deal is and posed that question to the old men. They said they didnt understand either but thats what was in the contract so thats the way it is. I asked if they would ever say something to the management and responded "no" cuz it doesnt really concern them. Though all the old men in there said they didnt care.

Which majority are you talking bout SKI? Or are you just pulling shite out your arse again?

how do you theyre the majority? You may not like tattoos, I may not like tattoos, but are we in the majority? Are all people THAT against them or is that just a Japanese way of thinking? Sounds a bit ignorant to me. Especially when you (majority) probably have never spoken with anybody about them in the first place.

You say majority. I wonder what the real opinions of people at a gym/onsen/whatever really are...

Yes, yes, yes, obviously you are right and I am wrong. It goes without saying. I am sure the vast majority of the population approves of tattoes. That's why the vast majority of the population have them and why they are fully accepted.

:rolleyes:

>It goes without saying. I am sure the vast majority of the population approves of tattoes. That's why the vast majority of the population have them and why they are fully accepted.

Great argument. It doesnt matter whether people have them or not. Just because somebody doesnt have one doesnt mean they hate them and think that nobody with one should ever enter an onsen or a gym. Guess thats just a narrow-minded view.

Youre either with us or your against us.

Tattoos are bad and evil things. If you have a tattoo youre a evil person... lol.gif :rolleyes:

Like I said, I spoke with around 10 men in the sauna, and as you say thats not a majority, but while none of them wanted one cuz they disliked them or maybe thought they were stupid looking, they didnt think if somebody had one that they shouldnt be allowed to work out. Granted, those 10 werent the majority. My bad.

Hey Ski,

I am getting my first for many reasons.

I always wanted a tattoo for as long as I can remember. Now I am old enough and can put a lot of thought into the design so that I will be happy with it in the long run. I knew when I was younger that I would probably chose something stupid so I heald off.

I may start small(though I have an idea for a full back piece) to cover a scar. Japanese feel that you are disrespecting your parents for damaging the body they gave you. (anicdotal but this is what I have heard the most) Well its covering a scar so I am not really damaging anything.

Its not popular now. Yeah I am not getting one out of popularity or a fad. Just out of want.

Thanks FT. I am happy to abide what ever cultural boundaries there are when ever I travel and if that means there are places I cant go becuase of some ink on me that's cool. Will probably have a couple more by then too. Sounds like I'll find some where to any way.

Quote:
Tattoos are bad and evil things. If you have a tattoo you're a evil person...
Where did you get that from? Hmmmm...

Perhaps you meant..

"If you have a tattoo you're a fool..."

..which would of course be correct.

:rolleyes: wakaranai.gif

Think what you want, but allow me to have my views. I think people putting permanant marks on your body like that is foolish and says a lot about the marked person. You are of course free to be as foolish as you wish. I and others will just laugh.

I see more recently even Japanese people.

But for me I don't like it, it seems strange thing to want to do to body but if people want to it's ok of course.

I like my own body skin and clear skin on guy also \:\) I don't want to see painting!

Sorry but can I steer this back on topic.

I would like to know how have people with tats been treated in different resorts. This thread isnt about being judgemental, people get them for any number of reasons. Why should you be persecuted for doing something when you were young. Everybody has had their drunken nights out.

Quote:
Why should you be persecuted for doing something when you were young. Everybody has had their drunken nights out. [/QB]
This is the first time I have heard of being excluded from a public place for having Tatts, all I might add I have got when I was sober and not exactly young \:\) If its the case I'm cool with it, am happy to go with the flow.

Its also the first time someone who hasnt met me nor knows me has called me a fool, after you have known me you might come to that conclusion but it wont have anything to do with some ink. \:D More likely confusing past glories (or which there are few) with present abilities. I am more annoyed by such ignorance that then whether a place's customs exclude me from doing something because my art collection extends further then just my walls at home. If thats the rules so be it I dont want to offend anyone, it might save me from making SKI feel uncomfortable if I was next to him.

Perhaps next time Ski you might want to try "I dont like tattoos, nor would I get one as I dont like them and dont understand those those that do" rather then running your mouth (keyboard) off and calling us that do have them silly little childish names. Funny how you say Tatts say so much about the person when your bigoted remarks and generalisations speaks volumes to me.
 Quote:
rather then running your mouth (keyboard) off and aclling us that do have them silly little childish names.
Silly little childish names? confused.gif
I believe I said "foolish", which doesn't seem childish to me.

Quote:
Funny how you say Tatts say so much about the person when your bigoted remarks and generalisations speaks volumes to me.
I have absolutely no problem with that. \:\)