hi

my family and i are planning a trip to ski/snowboard japan around december/january. my wife is still coming to terms with how slippery snow is and panics as soon as she gets going. can any one recommend a ski place that has long, very gentle slopes that she would be able to try learning on as most of the beginners slopes we have tried so far (in canada)are too short or become too steep before she is able to get the hang of it.

Quote:
Originally posted by albit:
hi
my family and i are planning a trip to ski/snowboard japan around december/january. my wife is still coming to terms with how slippery snow is and panics as soon as she gets going. can any one recommend a ski place that has long, very gentle slopes that she would be able to try learning on as most of the beginners slopes we have tried so far (in canada)are too short or become too steep before she is able to get the hang of it.
dude, take her to tsugaike kogen in Hakuba. The bottom area is flatter than Niseko. And it stays consistently flat with no crowds as the space is so wide open. It is perfect for beginners.

Seriously very gentle slopes.

Hakuba has some lamer resort terrain than Niseko, no doubt. Its also got lots of good stuff as well (more than N)

The bottom edge of Tsugaike Kogen in Hakuba is the flattest, tamest, most gentle, wide open, forgiving, all round hamster, beginner ski slopes I have ever seen anywhere. I actually taught myself to snowboard there over several weekends. And look what I became: an internet tosser!

Just to pound this point to death, I remember a lot of really flat spots in Rusutsu, Kiroro and 3 Valleys, but they were so flat you came to a complete stop in some places and had to walk for a bit. That bit of Tsugaike is gentle but the inclination is enough to take you all the way down to the lift.