4th November Hintertux Glacier in Austria (that's a ski resort)

:p

It was great to be in the snowy mountain environment again, pulling up in the car, freezing cold outside, getting your boots on. All the pine trees were loaded with snow. It was exactly like winter. Was easily -15C and some more for nasty wind-chill. I was really cold on top at 9am so I went in for a litre of beer and some pretzels for breakfast \:\)

Call me a whinger, but after a day of riding lifts I was bored truckless. It is so monotonous and pointless. The image thing is also quite noticeable and a load of silliness. So many people try to look, dress and act like an image. Perhaps its just early season show off my new gear attitude. But... people are wankers. I don't have anyone to go touring with at the moment so I had to make do with lifts and resort scene. Such is life.

The snow was dry, good powder. But very little stuck to the glaciated pistes due to the dryness, the ice surface and high winds. So there were huge patches of ice (between moguled areas). Not friendly ice like bullet proof or boiler plate... I'm talking deep glacier ice: smooth solid frozen water just like an ice skating rink on a 30-35 degree angle. That plus moguls were hard work on my long bendy off-piste skis (plus I am a shit skier anyway).

I managed several lines of boot deep powder off the side of the piste on very low angled glacier. As opposed to snowboarding, skiing powder is strange. I was cruising through easy powder, doing longish wide turns, everything was ok and then a ski would just bog like it got caught on something almost pulling me off my stance. Whats up with that?

Also, how do I know if my bindings are correctly adjusted? I didn't crash all day so don't know if they release correctly or not.

Slept in the car Friday and Saturday night, which made me feel really dedicated \:\)

Austria%20view2.jpg

Austria%20view.jpg

ski%20in%20snow.jpg

Quote:
Originally posted by db le pu:

Also, how do I know if my bindings are correctly adjusted? I didn't crash all day so don't know if they release correctly or not.
You're on Dynafits dude. I'm pretty sure that you are going to be the only one that knows how to use them (even though you don't know how) on this forum

Good to get out on the snow
Too bad you didn't have such a good lift serviced experience

The Hintertux is always cold. Generally there are a lot of national teams training there early in the season. As for the posers remember your in the land of Bogner.

Try Stubai good early season not as cold

The Hintertux was my first real taste of sking and coincidentaly where I met my wife. That was 20 years ago and it was no different then, I was surrounded by 'the beautiful people' and swiss or french private school students. I felt a bit conspicuous not wearing the 'proper'ski apparel with no idea what I was doing.

Still we all had fun, I found my soul mate and developed a love of sking.

Quote:
Originally posted by db le pu:
That last shot is purposely breaking the rule of thirds.
it'd be a fabulous shot but it's got a track on the left side...ZANNEN!

lol.gif
I'm jealous! today it rained alot but I'm not sure if that meant snow on Tateyama

Beanie - it wasn't a bad experience, just a resort experience. Perhaps it was dull as I was there alone and the terrain was not so great. I have to work out if my bindings are ok. My research says they are, but I'd like to know some simple release test to double check.

Also, how do you stop really fast on skis? Is it my technique or am I taking for granted snowboard braking power. There were times I was going way to fast and any attempt to slow down was risking a crash. I tried just jamming on a side skid and couldn't pull it off.

Quattro - Yes, lots of ski teams training in their tight pants with shorts over the top. I admit to resentful envy at their skill, but these little teenage pricks were faster than a fart and pushed their way in everywhere like they owned the place. So did half the crowd. I'm guessing it is a German/Austrian habit as I don't notice that much pushing in France or Switzerland. The food set up was great though, really a noticeable feature compared to other places. (this was my first time ever in Austria). I had breakfast once and lunch twice.

As for fashion, I saw plenty of snowboarders in ridiculous baggy arsed hip hop shit. And one guy fully decked out in the Shaun White gear, it looked like a bloody Armani suit. I shouldn't bitch, but people who act out an image don't appeal to me much.

Another observation: why do generally attractive women end up in snow sports? That's kind of disappointing. There is a distinct lack of balance, and where there is good looks there is (generalising) a void of substance. Snow sports will always come out the loser in that case. Some of the girls were way to subculture wannabe cool and trendy, so much so that I would make a point of not wanting to have any contact with them.

I'll give them credit though, they ripped. I suppose they have been riding that ice all summer and really know where its at. Because they really rode fast and hard a very unforgiving surface.