Shocking list of injuries there Daver... The sound you describe for the fracture is quite sickening, otherwise what was that guy thinking throwing himself off a cliff? Zitty teenager with a small brain who had watched too many of those incredible snowboarding movies?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a shocking twist and stretch on my left knee and ankle last year in the Alps. I didn't want to miss time on the mountain so took next day off, ice packs on ankle and took copious amounts of under the counter anti inflammatory drugs and pain killers (left over from when I broke ribs earlier in year - not snow related - Volvos are damned hard when you're on a bike) It worked but I still have twinges in left knee and had weakness above ankle for about four months. That'll teach me not land a fast jump nose first.

Friend of mine on first day on a boarding holiday fell face forwards and broke both wrists badly and had to be sledged (don't know what official term is when ski patrol drag you down mountain on a sledge) off the mountain. She had to have the wrist re-set back in the UK. As a result I have never boarded with out wrist guards and I also wear a helmet. I remember once rag-dolling and I could hear someone shouting ouch, ow, aargh words to that effect etc and realised it was me.

I have to admire Daver's determination in the face of numerous accidents. I think my fear levels would continue to grow with each accident. I was thinking about fear and risk yesterday: I commute on a bike into central London. 7 miles each way in 40 mins. I tend to go fast and hard. Wear helmet don't jump lights but have had three major tumbles, non my fault. Worst last year when I got hit by car and broke some ribs. The Doctor was amazed I was going to get back on my bike; I'd never considered not up until that point. Last Friday cycling back at night in heavy rain; there was a lot of idiot drivers out and I had to have my wits about me and I started thinking about getting hit again. I realised my main fear was not the getting hit or breaking anything but that it would totaly f**k up my forthcoming snowboarding trip to Japan and that really gave me the fear \:D

I've just read Daver's signature.......he's given it some thought too;

Quote:
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
;)

hey man thanks, but i think it is just part and parcel with the sport. any seasoned veteran of skiing (not weekend warrior/vacationer) will share an equal number of accumlative injuries. i'm actually in the mild side of things.

i'm just happy to have never experienced the type of life altering (or extinguishing) injuries that i also mentioned.

just to continue this idea of injuries, my buddy mt lion (some of you might know him) was hit by a dump truck while riding his motor bike earlier this september. he was lucky to have lived, and probably wouldn't have had he not been in close proximity to a hospital. he broke nearly all of his ribs and lost his spleen. to most people, just walking up the stairs by this point would be rewarding recovery. mt lion is already skiing again.

great news especially cosidering your current snow conditions :insert green faced jealous graemlin:

actually maybe that makes it worse; being invalided with all that tempting snow falling \:\( Good luck with the physio thumbsup.gif

thanks thumbsup.gif no it's sweet to see snow, it's just so so freeeezing here. the bump is getting smaller (hmmm it's like the opposite of being pregnant) - hopefully physio will move things along. the doc said for training i have to do 4 days on, 1 day off, 4 days on, 1 day off and so on. the physio should also help to sort out how tight my hamstring is right now.

injuries suck EH. this is my 1st time for this shit.

EBC no pain no gain. If you dont push your limits then you will never get anywhere. Do you have much of a limp?

Thankfully never had a bad injury. But please ask me again next april or may!! I hope I am not tempting fate!!! Anyways good luck with it and being a Scot you should be tough....!!!

ha i wish i was tough - no i don't have a limp, but 3 months ago i could hardly walk. read back a few pages, you'll see what i'm talking about. and look at my new zealand TR and you'll see the little cliff line i fell down thumbsdown.gif i'll get there, i damaged the muscles tissue on my thigh pretty bad, so it's just gonna take a long time, sometimes it's hard to hang in there when an injury feels like FOREVER tho

Yea I had a flick through the pages and saw that pic! There is little to say really only get well soon and keep the head up. Will you get any skiing done this winter?

I only started skiing this year in Japan and I am trying to learn as quick as possible. This means going faster than is probably safe!! Every time I went skiing earlier this year I ended up creasing some girl! I was lucky I didn't hurt anyone. I dunno why it was a girl every time. Anyways, an injury will happen sooner or later so I am just hoping it is nothing crazy like yours!!

ohh you are irish ha! you sound like AK77.... you should ride with him this season, he loves chasing girls. i remember getting marched off tateyama this spring, and back down to earth to ride park at 47 so he could 'bump' into a certain chick.

if i don't get to ski this year, i can tell ya now, i'll be at EVERY party in town this year, and i'll be the drunkest person there.

off for my daily onsen session now thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif i'm living the life of an oba-chan and i LOVE it cool.gif

Ah onsen I could do with one of those but still needs to cool off here a little bit. I didnt intentionally plough into the girls it was just they got in my way and I couldnt stop. I did most skiing in Alts Bandai which is a good place to learn! But people had a habit of resting anywhere they wanted! I remember the last time I was skiing I was really motoring down the mountain! Defo going faster than I could probably control, next thing this bird just pulled up in front of me! I dunno how I missed her but I did! If I had to have hit her......ouch and would have been really messy. I got a real fright!

Anyways enjoy the onsen and look after the leg and I will catch you later on. Bout the parties, will be looking for those also!

OK do they have physio in japan? cause there was not a ultrasound machine in sight today. i had my 1st 'rehabilitation' session today. i'd love to say it's for my excessive drug habit, but NO it's for my stupid injured leg. i got 30 minutes of some really crazy and totally uncomfortable massaging, which definitely seems to be good - i now apparently have to do this every day after training - to myself...... ummm anyone in hakuba want to volunteer to massage my leg everyday? cause i don't think i can do this myself, or at least i can't even remember the moves she was pulling, it all happened so damn fast. we did a ton of hardcore stretching (i also can't remember them either) and i'm not sure that my leg being totally weak is just because of the injury, maybe because i'm unfit too? anyway, the left leg is so weak and tight compared to the right one. it's case by case of course how long it takes to be back to 100% - but apparently i can ski - but i'll wait for the MRI results next week to get the green light on that one for definite. just glad to be getting some treatment finally. today my leg has never felt in better (injured) shape, some of the shit in there is definitely going away thumbsup.gif

thanks thumbsup.gif

done tonight's massaging and stretching, jeez i feel like it's more of a test for my stomach muslces, some of these acrobatic stretches i have to do.

the onsen sessions - as part of my 'get on snow' rehabilitation i go to the onsen pretty much every night, it seems to help the injury and the docs say YAA. what's more insightful though is my banter with the oba-chans hanging out there. hot on the heels of being invited round for a cup of tea next time i'm cycling past her house, by one oldie, tonight i got chatted up by another lol - we exchanged numbers ooh la la. and the phrases of the day were 'every cloud has a silver lining' (mmmm i like this one) and 'all's well that ends well' - what wise old owls the obachan's are.

I wanna live out in the country it sounds so friendly. I moved into my apartment around the middle of October and you know as part of the ritual you buy presents for your neighbours (or at least thats what the gaijin are told)! So I bought some chocolates for the apartments either side of me. I knocked on the door and this dude answered and said something. I waited, rang again and then he came running out scooting me away from his front door. I nearly broke my neck into my apartment. I imagine he wasnt paying me compliments. I was so angry thinking the racist son of a...anyways I calmed down and decided to go to the next neighbour who simply said "no sank you" over the intercom. So I sulked some more and ate the chocolate.

Got over it in the end, I still love Japan and Japanese people, except for my racist neighbours of course who are probably korean?!?!? Haha.

Did any more fluid drain from the leg? Yuck sounds horrible.

the local farmer oba-chans left me a bag of negi outside my house the other day, not bad eh. they love it in the onsen though, i get a daily dose of old people chat every night. ummm who the hell are your neighbours? i hope you have loud noisy wild parties every night. the fluid is going umm very slowly and yes it is horrible.

Mmmm sounds tasty. I would say oishi but dunno how to spell it in english...I will spit on him when I see him. Dunno who they are, I scedaddled when he started to shout and wave franticly!!! It was the first time I felt lonely here since I came back (2 months). Cannot stand narrow minded people.

Anyways EBC (I always go to write ECB but that is the european central bank), get the massagy massagy going and you will be grand in no time!! I am planning a trip before christmas, whats hakuba like? Maybe we could meet if I head up there. Would be good to get advice from a veteran!

Last night someone asked me if we had mushrooms in Scotland?!!! WTF?!! Anyways, yaaa give us a shout if you are in town, there's always a whole crew of us here.

Yes and don't worry about the name, many other chancers on this forum like to get confused with it too. European Central Bank, yes i like that. OR it could be Everest Base Camp - non?!