Burton Snowboards Opens Flagship Store in Tokyo, Japan

I guess we all missed this( from the burton site):

Burton Snowboards Opens Flagship Store in Tokyo, Japan

New Burton Store to Host Grand Opening Parties and Events This Weekend

Burton will open the doors of its first Tokyo store to the Japanese snowboard community this weekend. Located in the young, trendy and style-driven neighborhood of Harajuku, the new Burton Tokyo store will celebrate its grand opening on October 13 & 14 with parties, special guests and the world premiere of the Burton Movie, “For Right or Wrong”.

Stepping off the people-packed streets of Harajuku and into the Burton store feels like taking a snowboard trip to a favorite mountain destination. Designed by Japanese architect Nobuo Araki, the store features powder white floors, walls and fixtures to represent every snowboarder’s dream – the perfect powder day, when the world turns white with fresh snow. The first floor, deemed the ‘Powder Stash’, houses Burton boards, boots and bindings inside a white playground-style fence that entices riders to enter and have fun with the product. Perched above the first-floor Powder Stash is the Lodge where Burton outerwear, apparel and accessories are on hand. Featuring a mix of vintage and new furniture, the Lodge replicates the feel of a modern mountain lodge with warm wood walls, floors, ceilings and fixtures. Select furniture pieces are constructed with wood from the Hokkaido region of Japan where epic snow, tree runs and mountains abound. Up in the Lodge, riders can chill in the Rider Lounge, which is outfitted with laptops, a foosball table, video projector, a team wall and a small ‘Cold Room’ that replicates winter temperatures for trying on outerwear.

"Our Tokyo store was designed locally and pays homage to the Japanese snowboard scene, which has done so much for our sport and industry," says Jake Burton, Founder and Chairman of Burton Snowboards. “In line with our objectives, this store will enhance the brand and strengthen our commitment to the riding community in this part of the world."

To celebrate the opening of its first store in Tokyo, Burton will host a series of events beginning on Friday, October 13 with the global premiere of the Burton movie “For Right or Wrong” for 300 VIPs including Burton team riders and Burton Founder, Jake Burton. A VIP in-store reception will follow the movie premiere on the night of October 13 and will feature music by DJ and Beatbox MC AFRA. Later that night, Burton will host a grand opening party at Tokyo hotspot Club Vanilla located in Roppongi and featuring Japan’s top DJs, including Muro, Masterpiece Sounds, Mintos, Raphael Sebbag, Shinco, Half B, Kaoru Inoue, Matsuura and DJ U5. Additional event details are listed below.

Burton Tokyo Store Opening Events - Friday October 13

6 p.m. - 8 p.m. - Global Premiere of “For Right or Wrong” – VIP ONLY

8 p.m. - 10 p.m. - VIP reception at new Tokyo Store

10 p.m. - 4 a.m. - Grand Opening Party at Club Vanilla in Roppongi

Burton Tokyo Store Opening Events - Saturday October 14

11 a.m. – Exclusive store opening for customers who are members of the Burton Members Club

4 p.m. – Public Grand Opening – All are welcome!

Burton Tokyo Store Address

5-17-4 Jingumae (a.k.a ‘Cat Street’)

Shibuya-ku

Tokyo, Japan 150-001

Phone: 03-5738-2777

The Burton Tokyo store joins a handful of flagship Burton stores located at the company’s global headquarters in Burlington, Vermont, the Burton European headquarters in Innsbruck, Austria and its debut urban store located in New York City’s SoHo district. Burton-owned Gravis Footwear also has a freestanding store in Tokyo just three blocks away from the new Burton Tokyo store.

I read that Japan makes up for 29% of their total revenue. Probably because most of their stock is bought at full price. They also release extra 'fashion-driven' way overpriced stuff (Idiom)

I've been to the one in Innsbruck and it was pretty cool. They did have some sales but nothing spectacular. I doubt though that the Tokyo one will have sales.

I would wait till after the winter go back in spring and get what you want at a lower, last season price.

I live in Innsbruck thats how I do it even though i'm not the greatest burton fan.

Ocassionaly they have a good bargain ,got my girlfriend a 2 season old unused 153 fish for euros 300 better than half price!!!

if anyone is looking for any particular burton item let me know and i'll see what they have here at the moment may just be a good bargain for you! hard goods are your best bet!

oh yeah they sometimes have stuff that never appears in the catalouge???

...just cutting & pasting an article on the opening of a snowboard shop which was featured on 'the goat' section of backcountry.com

Actually, I am disappointed by the quality, style and functionability of their outerwear this year and have bought from different makers. Just because I like a particular brand doesn't make me blind to the quality & design, and other brands on the market.

Regarding our endless Malolo vs khyber debates, I would have picked up a khyber without thinking if I lived in Whistler or if they had some kind of distribution in Japan with a good warranty.

I don’t know about you m8 but as far as it goes for me, I consider that that debate has ended 1 month ago.

I saw the exact same article you’ve posted, on the Japanese site of Burton, had no idea that you picked it from an other site, were they probably copy and pasted it from Burton hp..

http://www.burton.com/News.aspx

Sorry but I got the wrong impression.

Its burton so they can open a store like this and make a killing.

Kuma there is a difference between ture mountain stuff and resort clothing.

I buy a set of both every few years. The resort stuff can be picked up for cheap..

sorry Tsondaboy - 1st thing in the morning grumpiness

FT - that's true, but I'm disappointed with most of the clothing line this year.

I would like to have a look in the shop but since I'm not planning on going to Tokyo anytime soon it probably won't happen.

I don't mind the steezin if it helps them sell resort wear, but I'd like them to keep the steez out of the ak line. put aside fashion and get back to function.

If you do intend to buy burton outerwear, I think that shop would be great (cold room thumbsup.gif ) to go check your size and colours, then go looking fo cheap deals online

Seriously, fukk steeze. I am over it. it takes away from snowboarding much more than it contributes.

Give me duct tape. Burton (and snowboarding in general) has become every bit as pretentious as skiing was in the `80s.

I would like my outerwear to be made with a shred of ethic consiteration. Where is burton making their stuff? Indonesia?

i have burton stuff, but i am not that happy with it. It was bought because i was a poor instructor, and we get pro-deals on the stuff.

Plus, it falls apart after a half-season of decent wear or use.

well, they prob lose out on the middle man cut maybe. but if they were saving that with their own shop then the shops prices should be a little bit cheaper.

but I do that at other shops too, so I am a retail prick

• 4 months later...