I thought the article was OK. It came across as a first time visitors account written in a travel writer style. I've moaned about cliched "just out of the set of Bladerunner" type writing before, but maybe that's the point about travelling to somw place on a touristic short holiday. Your impression is always going to be snippity, relatively shallow and perhaps full of cliched imagery. This is tourism, not real life.

About the Colorado resorts altitudes,

Vail town is at 2500m and Breckenridge is at 3000m, so you are not dropping down to low altitude at night.

That said first trip to Breckenridge did the 40 minute hike to the summit first day no problems including smoking asthmatic that was with us. Summit is 4000m and no one felt more than a little out of breath and tired due to jetlag coming from Scotland.

I worked 2 seasons out there and both times even after 6 months at never below 2500 / 3000 metres you acclimiatise, but you are still done in by running 20 metres for a bus or going up stairs too fast.

You feel amazing first trip back to sea level though! Sleep? No need for that...

Quote:
Originally posted by jamesybob:
About the Colorado resorts altitudes,
Vail town is at 2500m and Breckenridge is at 3000m, so you are not dropping down to low altitude at night.
Well why didn't anyone say that to begin with? That makes a big difference. Sleeping at 3000m is no fun coming from sea level.

Every time I have hit 4000 it has been up the same peak, and it takes about 2.5 hours to hit that height. Perhaps that's why I felt it. You saw other un acclimatised people hit a speed hump as well. We passed one girl was trying to skin up a crampon section and her ski came off. There was behaviour, stress and anguish on her face that simply wouldn't have been there at 2000m. Others don't have an issue at all, especially if they are up there every other day.
 Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No problems for me. I am a peepee the size and shape of a cashew nut made of sinew.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well why didn't anyone say that to begin with? That makes a big difference.
I suspect this was a cut-and-paste typo. Or maybe you are regaling us with some of your all-alone-at-the-top-of-the-mountain-and-trying-to-keep-warm-through-shared-body-heat conversations with your mountain guide?
shifty.gif

I copy paste a lot to make my posts. Cant type in the text box at work, too obvious. I once accidentally sent a private message to SJ1 about a snow density measuring device and noted that it was the shape of a penis pump. He was confused.

I fixed the above copy/paste error.

Nice Typo there! My last attempt at sleeping at altitude was at 3200m this summer in a mountain hutt. If the altitude does not stop you from sleeping, the loud peeps / truck-style snoarers will (was the "lady" laying next to me last time!). Always nice to start you hike the next morning completely sleep-deprived and exhausted!

The AZ site is very nice Spud, well done.

Thanks Serre. I need to fix the text formatting, its a bit clunky. The pages are all over the place as well, no structure. Plus I have a 1680x1050 screen and I think when people view it on a lower res monitor the text size and paragraph width is enormous.

Sunrise, it was with SiteSpinner, a PC application

I have not upgraded my iMac OS in 3 years, so I don't have iWeb.

There are other reasons for being a PC man these days, but the main one is this:

If I am in my house and not in bed then I am sitting at my kotatsu, which mean lap top which means PC.

So my kotatsu pretty much controls me. I don't use one other piece of furniture, ever.

(that's one of my better off topic tangents)

I'm with Spud on this - the article is falling into the usual wonder-at-unique-Japan cliches...but I don't suppose many of the Guardian's readers will appreciate that.

The point about holidays, though, is generally right - Japanese may have 'em but they aren't going to take the family on a skiing holiday over Christmas and/or the New Year like Brits or Europeans do.

Nozawa does have some neon lights as I drunkenly recall from last season, but nothing too reminiscent of Blade Runner...

here's more exposure for japan in general, taken directly from transworld's website:

here all for USD 3600/450,000JPY, not bad for two weeks of riding and cultural intake (no, i do not work for them; have nothing to do w/ them)