I have considered trying skis for some time now.

I have snowboarded for 5 seasons now, maybe it is time give the skis a try,

What do you think about that?

i am not a very good snowboarder, and will probably not be a very good skier either, what kind of gear should i get, i don't want low qual or beginner only stuff, but i don't want to spend a fortune, what about used gear?

anyone got some for sale?

i'm 181 cm, 75 kg

thanks

Thunderp

I'm a boarder also, but more power to you if you want to try skiing. I think I'll have to learn some basic ski skills myself when I use my split.

I always thought it would be cool if I could ever telemark really well, cuz then I could skin up some big-ass mountains...

check out realskiers.com for some good reviews. They do older models too. There's probably a bunch of good sites out there reviewing gear. And bootfitters.com (I think that's the site ??) for boot reviews. If you're skiing on piste in the current crop of skis somewhere around eye level (height) is the recommended length. Off piste of course can be a bit longer. Depends on what type of skiing you want to do. On piste = narrower waist, part on /part off (mid fat all mountain ski) : 75mm or even up to 80, but if you're fairly much only off piste wider is best.

2004 is a year i want to forget ;\)

i only have my right hand to type with, and i'm lefthanded, so here's the short version:

i was alone on a not yet opend slope, a road is crossing that, and in thick fog i did not see a 1 meter vertical drop. Tip of board hit the road, shoulder and (helmet covered) head took the impact, and i twisted my angle. Had to crawl 500 meter to patrol. Gave them a slightly different story than the above one.

I had done the same run 5-6 times earlier that day, so i should have known better......

drove my AT car home, had x-rays at the hospital the same evening, broken leg just above the angle, and a broken arm, just below the shoulder

glad i got out of there alive.

atb

tp

stupidity, hybris and some...

well doc promised i will be walking in 3 weeks, i hope i'll be ready for some snow in 5.

I'm good in feb.

this is my first snow injury in 5 years, not so bad after all

thanks for the cheering up

tp

phool, saw your other park-tread..

todays challenge for me:

wheeling to the bathroom in my wheelchair ;\)

next months challenge for me on the slope:

getting to the bottom in one piece!

take it easy in that park...

atb

tp

Hey Thunderpants, cheer up, I am here to keep you company...for a short while at least.

After tearing through the powder and the rocks with Fattwins skis, I returned home safely with hardly a scratch. However, got hit twice, hard, on the left leg yesterday during a hockey match, with a hockey ball, resulting in one very swollen ankle and knee. Was also hit by a stick on the right ankle but that seems like nothing. Spent the whole day on the sofa yesterday in agony. Could walk and had no appetite to eat. A bit better today but will probably be laid up for another few days.

In the meantime, I can be your incapacitated buddy!

Oh no Markie:(

but active lives gives a few scratches here and there.

but a hockey ball, it must hurt like hell? those things can fly very fast, no?

maybe you should have an x ray pic taken, just to make sure. I was ready to go to work the next day after my crash, but my wife insisted that i went to the hospital, glad i did. Could have made a big mess out of my leg.

Anyway, i check Nagano webcams hourly, just to torture myself ;\)

i even won a giveaway here last month, hope i can make it to Iwate ken in march...

atb

tp

Thanks for the concern, Thunderpants. Those suckers (hockey balls) are HARD and it hit me at a high speed, too fast for me to dodge. So yeah, I was writhing all day yesterday. But with the help of a nice electric blanket, I slept like a baby despite the pain and today it only hurts a lot when I touch the affected areas. Walking is only a little painful but stairs are a killer.

As for seeing a doctor, without a wife or gf next to me to force to do so, I guess I'm going to do the same thing as a couple of years ago when another stay rocket (hockey ball) hit me in the chest and broke a rib. I'm gonna just tough it out and let it mend by itself like I always do!

Cheers and take care!

Yeah, man, I really think I am alright. I'd better be. I'm all booked up and fully paid for a sortie to Avoriaz in early February. Just thought I'd pat you on the back and say that for the next couple of days you'll have a buddy to limp around with!