Hey tokyo ski bums

A bit of advice wanted -

when do the ski stores start to put in all their winter stock?

i don't want to go to tokyo too early and they don't have everything, but i don't want to go too late and most importantly miss out on any deals with last years models. i'm specifically looking for last years models and good prices.

so WHEN do you reccommend as being the prime time for that?

also WHERE is that part of tokyo with a ton of ski shops?

thanks guys cool.gif

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just wanting to know where they are more than anything. Not really in a rush to get anything, but if there was something then I might. I'll be there for a few days, but don't wanna just shop, so kinda want to know where the main drag is (if they aren't all spread out).

Kanda is the main concentration of sports shops and there are deals to be had year-round. The main street for the big shops is Yaskunidori and is easy to find. The area is not far from Akihabara and you need the same kind of shopping strategy to find the good deals. There are lots of shops in the back streets and alleys around the main flagship stores. Take your time and hit lots of the backstreet shops and you should find great deals.

Quote:
Originally posted by fjef:
Kanda is the main concentration of sports shops and there are deals to be had year-round. The main street for the big shops is Yaskunidori and is easy to find. The area is not far from Akihabara and you need the same kind of shopping strategy to find the good deals. There are lots of shops in the back streets and alleys around the main flagship stores. Take your time and hit lots of the backstreet shops and you should find great deals.
oops - didn't mean to quote myself....

was just there yesterday. still kinda quiet. I think it will pick up much more mid-Oct. that said, there are some shops already stocked up if you look around.

you can easily spend hours wandering around:

http://www.sports-kanda.com/kameitenlist.html

map.gif

there are a couple of good restaurants also (thai near McDonalds, chinese-gyoza along haku-san dori near intersection with yasukuni-dori).

Was at the Ochanomizu end of that last weekend and found an awsome wee shop in the back alley there, got some wicked deals on now of some of last seasons gear. Picked myslef up a new pair of pretty sweet goggles with a few pairs of lenses for about half the price. Mate I was with bought a new board and jacket; was pretty amsuing seeing the looks he got on the train on way back wearing his jacket and poised as if ready to hit the piste in Chiba!! Definately worth a look around the back, however once you get there it`s hard to leave as there are SO many shops you end up in them all searching for that bargain!!

Kool EBC - we should have a Tokyo SJ gals nite.

Bushie - wow, just looked at the calendar - first gig in October is 13th. Kool! Free time! Often jobs pop up at short notice, so there's bound to be other work coming thru, though not so likely to be live gigs, but if something comes up I'll let you know. But I'm likely to have friends doing something that might be worth going to.

Sunrise, MeJane, Slow, and anyone else around Saturday night, BPG and I would be up for something if any of you are free. Let me know. Sunrise, if you are working or have friends doing something like you said, then would be good too \:\)