request for comment -- Ski Maintenance/Performance Tuning

I just attended a Ski Tuning Seminar yesterday... And I was thinking to myself - is this something that I would need to go through just to enjoy skiing?

I mean, there were things as optimum edges, beveling, camber, etc. Hot waxing, base waxing, brushes, etc. Things to do before the season starts, after the season ends, those needed the night before, etc. etc. Activities that DO take TIME, and entail lots of EFFORT.

They emphasize that just like any carpenter or artist, caring for your equipment is paramount. It leads to improved performance, and a more enjoyable ski life...

But how many of you, of those that own their own skis actually go through all these? Are they necessary? Recommended, or just the ideal?

Any recommended work-around?

I for one, living in a small apartment typical in Japan find it impossible to have a work area with a table (the one with a vise) to care for my skis... And as a working salary man, dont even have the luxury of spending hours on end tuning my skis...

Another thing is that I just started skiing last January, and though I have made it through the Japanese certification SAJ Grade 3 (equivalent to an SIA Semi-Silver), and just missed the Grade 2 (SIA Silver) exam by a couple of points last June; I still consider myself a newbie. With not much experience in my belt, I cannot really tell the difference between an optimized ski or not, etc. Do these kinds of practices really make a difference in performance levels in my level of ability, and contribute to further growth? Or something like a "nice to have"..?

Thanks in advanced...!!!

A nicely tuned pair of skis makes a world of difference in most conditions (I can't speak for snowboards but I bet its similar). There is a direct correlation between snow conditions - you will not notice the need for sharp edges in soft snow conditions - but all it takes is a bit of ice/hardpack and you'll feel the difference...

Temperature and snow also make a difference - with cold, dry snow, you may not feel the need for wax. But when the snow is wetter/heavier, a nicely waxed base will make it much easier to ski.

The work-around is to buy new skis every time you go skiing.

Don't bother with most of that if you plan on doing most of your future skiing for fun

An all temperature wax is usually good and maybe sharpen your edges every once in a while if that tickles your fancy

If you are going to be pursuing your levels then you probably want to buy into what they are selling

Ok it depends on the type of sking that you are doing. If you are racing then your should be tuning your skis like crazy. If you are a powderhound and just ski powder then just wax your skis every few weeks. I for one tune when I can or when me skis run slow. I dont care about speed to the point of having the skis beveled. I just straight sharpen in the spring a few times. Dont go so crazy the SAJ community is a bit wacky in its pursuit of the perfect turn.

Good post!! To the average punter it doesn`t make much difference. But the more advanced at riding/skiing you become, I believe it does. It also depends on what you wanna get out of your riding/skiing. I`m believe in giving yourself every chance. Like FT said, "...depends on the type of skiing..."

I have my board tuned/waxed after every session. When I enter boardX, my board is tuned after every heat. I`m pretty fortunate that I`ve become friends with the dude who owns the local board store. He sponsors/supports a few riders and I enter the same races he attends. Choosing the right wax can, and often does, make the difference between winning and losing. I can sure notice the difference after my board has been waxed/tuned.

A snowboard with crappy edges and no wax turns a $500 piece of equipment into a piece of unsatisfying shite. I genuinely hate riding a roughed up board. Although it makes little difference on powder, just a bit of wax will do every few weeks.

Quote:
Originally posted by WantToSki:

Any recommended work-around?

I for one, living in a small apartment typical in Japan find it impossible to have a work area with a table (the one with a vise) to care for my skis... And as a working salary man, dont even have the luxury of spending hours on end tuning my skis...

You don't need a vice, you need a girlfriend and her bed. Look at the thread title and read it buddy:

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/6415.html?

Tune your skis and snowboards boys and girls! You'll definitely notice the difference.

You are always going to hit pockets of ice/packed snow at some point during your day on the mountain.

And is there anything more annoying than having to unstrap (snowboard) and push along the cat track? No, there isn't.

Quote:
Originally posted by Thunderpants:
one of the best things i have done for my snowboarding was tuning my base edge 1 degree,
makes boarding over flat sections easy.
Its called the Niseko Tune

(by the way, I think you are supposed to take metal of the side edge, not the base edge. The base edge should always be flat with the ptex)
 Quote:
Originally posted by le spud:

(by the way, I think you are supposed to take metal of the side edge, not the base edge. The base edge should always be flat with the ptex)
Industry standard is for the base to be 87 degrees. C`mon, you knew that!!
;\)
 Quote:
Originally posted by powwwers:
 Quote:
Originally posted by le spud:

Industry standard is for the base to be 87 degrees. C`mon, you knew that!!
;\)
Yeah, but once you take it off, your never getting it back. No worries if you want to spin around on icy piste all day or your scared of catching an edge or want more flat-base speed.

My base bevel is supposed to 0 degrees and side bevel is supposed to be 3 degrees, giving me an edge angle of 87 degrees, but without taking valuable edge off the base. The base edge gets hacked up enough on rock already. Whether I actually achieved 87 degrees I have no idea.

NPM - Powwwers is the man to know if your want your board tuned like a pro.

http://www.tognar.com/edge_tips_file_bevel_ski_snowboard.html#edge

EDGE2.JPG

I'm enjoying this discussion. Tuning up is something that I know almost nothing about I just give it to the shop. Perhaps I should take more notice.

Putting a bevel on the base edge is is totally fine and is common practise amongst competitive skiers and snowboarders. When working in the Ski industry in the North Island of New Zealand where the snow could often be described as "Bulletproof" putting a bevel on the base of a ski/board usually makes it a bit more forgiving and less chance of catching an edge while still allowing the full edge to be sharp. Its all personal preference but an example is giving the out side edge a 2 or 3 degree base bevel at the tip blending through to 1 degree under the bindings and the rest of the ski untill closer to the tail where it it goes back to 2 degrees. On the inside edge it would usually be less beveled with the edge being flat under most of the ski. In the pipe or park on a snowboard a base bevel of up to 3 degrees can make a big difference also. For the average rider with the snow quality in Japan a 1 OR 2 degree bevel could help but especially in icy conditions or like "Thunderpants" said on the flat sections most will notice the difference.

If you wanted to try a base bevel you can buy "beveling sleeves" which slide over a file and come in a few different angles but unless your confident I wouldnt recommend a novice to try it(but its not that hard). To get your base flat again you can get a "base grind" at most ski workshops where they take of approx 1/4 of a mm(sometimes more if they are too heavy handed or the edges are badly burred) off your base and it will be near new again. You can only do this a limited number of times untill you wear out the edge/base material but a base grind (especially stone grind) can make a huge difference in the way a ski/board performs.