To onsen in Shinano-Omachi, Tokyo

i want to hit the ridge to photo and scout winter lines, namely:

norikura south face

korenge bowls

banana

kaerazu/sock monkey line

karamatsu

goryu south face

i'm camping every night except at the Kiretto.

water spots at nearly every hut. carrying enough food will be heavy.

i hope my digital camera batteries last me each day between the huts.

Has anyone else done this or sections of it before?

Any advice would be helpful! Thanks in advance.

Jesus I’m envious. Damn. I can’t sit still at work since reading that. Take some good energy food, you have few long days stacked up. Also take a disposable camera. The last 4 day hike I did resulted in 150 digital pictures and a flat battery just when I needed it on the last day.

Looking forward to the stories and pics (esp the sock monkey line)

ps - have you got a few ‘escape’ routes back into the valley should the weather get really bad and you fall behind schedule? Or can you just sit it out and complete the route in your own time?

yes. it's rare i can get a week off to play in the mts. bringing lots of high-energy food, lots of noodles.

disposable camera, that's a good idea, spud. thx

there are four or five Plan B routes along the ridge.

i can't wait to see what the lines will look line in the spring \:\)

You've got a fair chance of good weather around that time, though maybe not for the full week. Maybe look at the six day forecast and adjust your plan to get good weather at the part you want to photograph. Your schedule gives you plenty of time. You'll have a great time.

In a lot of places, the path is below the top ridge on the back side. You'll have to bushwack/scramble up to take pictures of the lines, because you won't see them otherwise. Most of Goryu peak to Karamatsu peak is like that, for example.

Is it a TR if you've not been yet?

cool, thanks, FT. i'll get you an MSR bottle if you don't already have one. or a bottle of wine ;\)

thanks, mr. w

"You'll have to bushwack/scramble up to take pictures of the lines, because you won't see them otherwise. Most of Goryu peak to Karamatsu peak is like that, for example."

Yeah, so i'm planning a good part of days 1 and 3 exploring shirouma and karamatsu.

Also, some of the trail has some hairy spots narrow ridges like at Kaerzu I, II, and III.

Can anyone reccomend good hiking socks? i got 5 blisters on my last two-day/20km hike.

TR:

To be Ready

Total Ripper (, mate!)

Takusan Raicho unfortunately doesn't make sense in Japanese

gutteral trrrrr as in "trrrrrrrrip" or "trrrrrek"

What else could TR stand for?

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
What's up with Day 3???
Only 2km
Downhill most of the way too!

The trend for the ultralight crowd is away from hiking boots to stiffer running shoes, like trail running shoes. Depends if you want ankle support, I suppose. Otherwise, start wearing your boots now and try and keep your feet dry when the day comes. Take lots of plasters.

Take a pic of the trees at to show Toquester how far up they go

do they sell that 'second skin' stuff here? it's for blisters and is actually rather amazing. prevention is the best medicine however sometime that kinda friction can't be helped, and a little artificial cushioning can be a lifesaver.

ha! we can't all be that hardcore, toque.

i had blisters beneath blisters and the first aid were talking total surgery..

and yet i walked on.

now that's character..but i'll be damned if i do it again.

all hail second skin!

(now i've gotta find out what a TR is)

Bettyx, nice to hear from you again. Eskimobasecamp is being a hypocritical asshat. Don't listen to her. \:\) (although we would like to hear a story about your trip)

Dizz - I used to piss on my feet or use methylated spirits in the weeks leading up the hike. It really toughens the skin. Also, take some of that 'sports tape' as bandaids come off quite easy. If you do get a blister then just wrap the entire area in tape after ramming a red hot needle into it. Also take box of 400mg anti-inflammatory pain killers. Have one for breakfast and lunch if you start to feel generally sore about your body. They help you charge on for day after day without the aches and pains. You get all the benefit of a banned performance drug that sports-dorks aren't able to use.

• 3 weeks later...

TR means The Resurection of this thread.

had a great camping trip. after planning again and then replanning due to bad weather, i had three days, two nights up on the ridge: Tsugaike to Happo-One. i could have pushed on to Goryu or Ogisawa like i had originally thought but three days was enough 4 scouting lines 4 season.

thx EBC and FT! and thx 4 the advice mr. wiggles, i had a disposable w/ me and i also had a spare digital-camera battery.

Raicho-zawa (between Norikura and Korenge)

I love post-typhoon weather

dizzy_29.jpg

Obligtary pic of Shirouma-Sansou. i got lucky w/ clear skies. can u believe it sleeps 1000 people at 2858 meters? i camped both nights

dizzy_30.jpg

One possible entrance among a few up there

dizzy_32.jpg

And just for kicks: lol.gif

dizzy_33.jpg

more pics to come, have to put them in photoshop first

yeah, that's one of a dozen or so "10-thousand year snow" / snowy gorges / sekkei up there.

the DAISEKKEI at Hakuba is well known among alpinists in Japan. at a distance, they look like a line of ants walking up it