• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey panhead_pete, was curious about this topic and looked at the specs of the boards you mentioned:

Premier V-Max Never Summer 157

122 effective edge / 850 side cut / 0 taper

Prior Kyber 160

118 effective edge / 800 side cut / 22 taper

Prior Kyber 165

120 effective edge /850 side cut / 25 taper

I'd think the 165 would be a good move from your current NS, has almost the same effective edge and side cut radius, but with a much bigger nose and taper. In general I've found the Kyber to be very easy to turn and maneuver, so I'd go with the added float of the 165.

If you are coming to Japan for big deep bowls nothing beats a good swallowtail. But the Kyber is a good compromise and wins in the trees.

I also think you should go for the 165 m8. I ride the 160 and I am 10 kg less than you. If you add on your weight the weight of your backpack, snowsues, shovel etc you will definitely exceed the wait range of the 160. For best floating results you should pick a board that your projected weight falls somewhere near the middle of its suggested range.

Also if you are buying it new spoil yourself with the extra 100 $ for the quadraxial glass option. I ordered mine with the quadraxial glass and the board is significantly lighter even from some 156 boards that I have compared it to.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kumapix:
spud

this actually shows the best part of the movie: the avalanche!
the first descent peak is at 1:27 or 1:28 for 2 secs
yes, I checked it out a few months ago and do remember thinking that it is the second movie (of the three snowboard movies that I have seen) that in some was glorified a pro snowboarders escape from an avalanche. I concede I do not know what narrative went with that incident so perhaps I am jumping the gun a little.

Ho does she go in powder on the majestic? I am trying to get my short Japanese girl something that makes riding back country powder easy and enjoyable rather than tiring and sweaty. Performance isn't an issue on piste. Hard to get girls boards for special purposes. In fact girls snobo gear is all round very limited.

Dupraz is good, on or off piste, hardpack and ice. It is a very tough board. I am still looking for a steep technical non-powder board but may not buy one as I already have a board that does the job well enough, just a bit too wide. But the Donek sounds good.

the majestic is an all-round board, solid and stable, ok in the pow. if you want to make the most of your powder days, I'd get a swallowtail or something like your dupraz. last year my wife used a regular 165cm swallowtail 90% of the time. next year I might lend her my 173cm board for a day and see how fast she can go..

I think "women's-specific" board is just vacuous marketing-hype, focus instead on weight/height/riding style and she should be fine.

btw for steep technical stuff in the spring I'm looking at either the winterstick st or donek incline.

My statement might be hard for me to back up, its just something I have sensed. Earlier in the year I was looking for a less than 25cm waist on a 159cm deck. In the last month as the 06/07 sites are updated I am looking for the same thing and getting much more boards above 25.2 and some above 26cm. And thats the narrow 159.

The Jeremy Jones model is a good example. It used to be 24.8. Lets see how it comes out in 06/07

Last season I purposely bought a 157 wide for big foots, even though I don't have big feet. It gives so much more stability at speed and off piste chop. But it isn't as turn-on-a-dim hooky as I want for steep tight things without powder.... where speed is an enemy.

Freeride is half dead, it just doesn't sell as it is always out of reach of the market, especially big mountain free ride outside of resorts. I hope it dies a little more, keep the crowds away and the baggy pants gang doing wanker hand move movements in the park. \:\)

I do. But the less people to share with, the better.

By share the powder I meant I don't like the attitude of trying to take more powder than the next guy and consume it as fast as you can just to return to the front of the table for another helping, then another then another. People eating more than they need when sitting next to someone who cant quite reach the bowl of peas pisses me off. Their attitude is that so long as they got what they want, who cares if anyone else got anything. A large portion of my fun comes from sharing the fun. I can shred it all up like a crazed dog desperate to get the next one. But what does that bring me if it comes at the expense of my gf, or friend or a stranger who clearly loves being there but is overwhelmed by the speed at which people come, consume then leave. It doesn't just apply to snow either: spare seats in a rental car, spare food, spare rooms in my house, snobo equipment. I get more joy from giving it away and helping out than a) keeping it for myself or B) selling it (with exceptions). If carrying your backpack means we both get to enjoy the same thing then I will help out rather than see someone miss out on a shared joy.

But the baggy pants can stay in the park along with the obnoxious graffiti attitude towards nature ;\)

gotta keep this thread going!

I was looking at the new Malolo last night and man, it looks sweet. the graphics actually look pretty good, way better than what the catalogue shows. Makes me want one!

It says as a suggestion to ride the board 2-4cm shorter than your regular board.

The fish graphics, on the other hand, are not my cup of tea thumbsdown.gif