• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alright fellas. The little devil on my shoulder (CB) has got me thinking about a powder board... crap! But being down here, I don't get all that much fresh pow. So it'd need to be a decent on piste board too. Someone mentioned the malolo was a decent option for both pow and all mountain but to steer clear of rails. How about jumping (pretty much the only thing I really do in parks)? Also, size-wise, sould I go for something longer as I assume you guys have been suggesting? I'm 172cm, so what would be a good size?

what's your normal board size bp? just base it on that. I ride a 162/163 to cruise around and do park so I grabbed the 162 malolo. it's great, even without my stance all the way back.

Maybe I'm just spoilt but I only keep my malolo for pow days. It's fine on groomers but I like a more freestyle board for cruising, since I like to use the whole run to jump, tap, slide, press or bonk stuff. The malolo doesn't really fit that mold too well unless you don't mind destroying it. It rides switch ok but obviously not like a twin tip or a more freestyle-oriented board. I picked up the nitro suprateam recently and that's going to be my regular board. It's fast, great in the park, great in pow, turns on a dime, has great pop, etc etc. On a pow day I get the malolo or the 166 frontier out.

To summarize, I'd get the malolo or khyber (def the malolo since you can find it cheaper, and it'd be easier to warranty etc since they have burton dealers all over this country) as an addition to the quiver but not as a main board. Having said that, a pow board on a pow day will make u soooo happy thumbsup.gif

fanatic has a royal fish 160. it has the nose of the fish and the body of the fanatic royal (their pow board) with a small swallowtail. It's fast and gives you massive roostertails when you pull a slasher. I actually had a wave of spray over my head after I slashed a hip.

so maybe keep the board you have now and get whatever shows up on the auctions for cheap. since it's only for pow, the fish wouldn't be bad either. If you're stuck doing groomers or hit the park due to bad weather or tracked out pow or something then you just run back to the car and do a binding change

I made my choice last year. I was between a Malolo (6-70000 yen, new) and a Khyber (8-90000 yen, new). Both of them are very similar boards. Malolo is cheaper you can ride it the day after you bought it but sometimes the construction quality is not very good. The Khyber is at least 20000 yen more, you have to wait 4 weeks from the time you order it till the time you can actually ride it but its construction quality is unquestionable. If you can find a cheap Malolo for 3-4 man in the actions then go for it. If you are planning on a brand new from a shop, then better go for a bit more expensive but reliable board.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bushpig:
lol.gif Trailing behind?? As I recall it was you who trailed behind as we climbed up above tsugaike before the creek incident, swearing like a sailor! ;\)
I meant going down the hill, not up it - how did the snow taste mate :p

Yeah yeah, that was a pittiful year for me. 3 months off before the winter cuz of my neck. I was so outta shape... \:o
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bushpig:
yeah, but the job is sweet financially and wanna milk it till I'm out of here without moving costs.
Oh yeah, you’ll be happy with that decision in two years when suddenly you are diagnosed with colon cancer.