Quote:
Originally posted by soubriquet:
The correct length. Standard practice on hard ground it that in a skiing stance, with the pole gripped upside down and under the basket, your forearm should be parallel with the ground.
cue the wanking jokes...

length obviously is important and there are some general rules as described above. According to some "experts" your pole length should be 63% of your body length! But some people like longer/shorter poles (I used 130 for slalom and 112 for moguls now I settle for 125 or 120 depending on conditions).

Weight might be a consideration.

Another variable is swing weight. This is important for mogulskiers who need rapid poleplanting to keep up with their pivot (straight) turns. Swing weight ratios are better with carbon shafts and tiny baskets.

A 4th variable is breaking/bending. Carbon poles don't bend but break when in contact with something sharp (ski edge). Although this has been improved over the years. Metal alloy poles don't break but usually bend before eventually breaking. I think that carbon in general has a longer lifetime but when you are in the bc and something goes wrong I rather have a metal alloy pole because it would bend and you can straighten it (within limits), whereas the carbon would break. Metal alloys come in many difference qualities. Stiffer shafts are more expensive, but unless you are a alpineracer or want to make pole summersaults you don't really need them.

last consideration and for me the most important one, money. When I'm in the market for poles I usually get the cheapest available and only change the grips on the poles (big preference on Scott grips)