Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:

Bear spray comes in a large 500ml bottle. No way I'm carrying that on a waste belt
Does it make them run round in circles flapping their front legs and going ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, then collapse on their backs and twitch?

Quote:
And it doesn't stop the skeeters from buzzing around your ears with that annoying noise they make which to me is way worse than them biting
Ah yes, a Scots ex-pat I used to work with in Oz described Canada as "the land of the mosquito". We do pretty well here, considering the amount of water in the landscape. I guess the rice frogs do a pretty efficient job on the larvae.
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those bears look damn scary to me Touque. The other day I got to the top of the mountain on a run and almost ran straight into a piglet. I turned right round and ran down the mountain for fear of the parents tusking me in the butt.

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
Hahaha
Hell on this last trip alone I saw ... and even a little bear in the trees just 10 meters away.
Dude, that's when you stop thinking and start getting the hell out there. You do not wanna be even remotely near a 'Ma Bear with cubs.

I hear you Davo. I think it is not being gutless but sensible. A friend of mine who's from the same country as Toque had the following experience:

They were on a fishing trip in some remote region. They land their boat on the lakeside and decide to go for a stroll. After a couple of minutes his friend goes: "oh my gosh, look at that cute little baby bear". That's when my friend went: "that's f*****g great, run back to the boat, NOW!". As they're running back the boat, mama bear shows up at the top of the hill and charges right away. They got in the boat just in the nick of time as mama bear jumped in the water after them....

Phew, close call. Hope those sprays work if you have to use one...

Wasn't a cub

About as big as a large dog. So maybe 1 year old.

Check out this little dude I saw today. First time I've ever seen an Otter. Pretty cute I'd say. And it looked like it was having a good time trying to catch the salmon nearby.

toque_355.jpg

toque_356.jpg

I got rained out of a climb today. But still got 4 hours of trail in. Got drenched though.

Well I saw another bear today

I was 7 hours into my trip and getting close to the end. Coming quickly down a very steep trail through open forest. I saw or heard somthing on my right about 10-15 meters away. It was a medium sized black bear going up the slope. We both looked at eachother very surprised and then I started yelling. He looked annoyed and kept going up thr hill not scared at all. I was going pretty fast down the trail already but I made a point of picking up the pace a bit.

Funny cause I was just thinking to myself how I hadn't seen any big wildlife so far on the trip.

• 3 weeks later...

Check this couloir in Kokanee Glacier

Found it while traversing a good narrow ridge on my way to a 2600 meter peak. Maybe 3-4 meters wide, north facing and you can ski right to the bottom of the valley. Couloir should go.

I'll save it for spring.

This was on Saturday. 7 hours in the mountains

toque_358.jpg

And these were Sunday. Just 6 hours in the mountains.

South ridge to Virgil again in Kokanee Glacier. But only 2556 meters

toque_359.jpg

Kokanee Glacier itself

toque_360.jpg

toque_361.jpg

toque_362.jpg

yep, it is apparently authentic, and those things are so dumb that they don't know when to stop. I have seen one getting beaten over the head repeatedly with a cricket bat, but not refusing to stop attacking. Scary bloody things once they get into attack mode. The poor porcupine was only really defending itself though. Woulda been one bald-arse porupine after that!