Yeah, we took the Fujinomiya (south side) trail, we camped in the 5th station parking lot.

We didn't actually turn around, we just left are skis there and hit the peak without them. Reason we didn't take 'em was a combination of both, it just wasn't worth skiing from the top since we couldn't see and it would've been ice if there was enough snow.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's cool that you made it up

Not really a difficult climb but the weather can make it interesting

To bad you had bad weather. I've been up there twice and both times have had bad weather.

Good on yah for trying to ski it though. You can tick that one off the list.

Well I'm leaving work at 3:30 and going into the mountains. If anybody out there has a thought of joining make your way up into the Karasawa Valley and look for 2 gaijin. One with a shaved head swearing about houw ****in cool it is to be in the mountains.

I picked up a new helmet just now as well. A got a climbing helmet cause my winter one is to hot. This one is good. Really light. I'm happy to protect my noggin again.

Well I'm back and I did freeze. It was cold up there. But that didn't take away fro what a cool trip it was.

I'll put a real Trip Report up when I get some pictures from my friend.

The bikes worked really well and saved us a lot of energy. On the ride out we rigged them up so that the skis and boots were attached to the frame saving our backs. It was really efficient.

The skiing was really good on saturday and I was able to ski one of the skinny lines that had been haunting my dreams. I had to climb into it from the top using vegetable belays and a bit of my very limited rock skills. But the line was nice and steep exiting out onto the huge apron for nice big turns all the way back to our tent.

Sunday the weather moved in so after I skied another of the lines I wanted which was really short we bailed out and I was home by 230.

A good trip and there is still a huge amount of snow up there. Probably enough to make it worthwhile for at least another couple weeks depending on how much rain we get.

This is at the beginning of May. There is about the same amount of snow still up there

I skied the skinny line coming out of the rocks just left of centre. It comes out diagonally to the left and doesn't go all the way to the ridge.

We then skied over to the shady part somehow skiing through that ridgline. There is a hidden couloir to below the pointy summit and skied nice snow all the way back to the where the picture was taken. A good 800 metres vert.

blpic40857.jpg

Again this one is from Golden Week but it looks the same.

And then I hiked into this one Sunday morning skiing it from just below where it gets really small. Not to steep. Just under 45 but fun with rock on both sides. Another 200 metres vertical back to where picture is taken

blpic40856.jpg

Looks like you bagged some sweet lines there. Even 200 meters is nothing to sneeze at if it's nice and steep..

Btw, how did you get your bikes up there? Were you able to take the bus?

They grudgingly let us on the bus on the way in. We were the only ones on a big big bus. When we got there they said they would not let us do this again but when we got back to Kamikochi on sunday they didn't really say anything. Just made us take the front tires off and put them in the back.

That is him.

I'm sitting just out of the photo on the left.

IMG_9629.JPG

It's to bad the pictures end there cause they skied a really cool line the next day. A line that I dream about every night.

I tried to watch it but couldn't

I hate this year at work. They have taken so many programs away from me.

But that guide is a good guy. Really friendly and speaks pretty good english.

yeah that part sucks but the problem is I cant afford a guide plus a hut. guide 10000 per day hut 6000 if you are lucky ouch. No guide and it works out to like 1000 a day including your food.

My back will take the pain to save 15000 yen.

saw a few people camping (tent or snowcave) out at Kagura this season. maybe we'll try it out there first to get our feet wet, before jumping into long tours. we have -6 bags, probably next on the list is tent.

hmm.. it would be pretty sweet to tour Kamikochi a week or two before GW w/your own gear. That way you'd still have enough snow on the valley floor to skin all the way to Karasawa, etc.