I was round my Japanese friends house the other day and he showed me his first set of skis. Incredible they were, from many decades ago.

image.php?table=products&id=79&key=IDnum&field=largeimage

Quote:
Lund Skis made by Christian Lund: Christian Lund was a Norwegian immigrant who founded the Northland Ski Company in 1911 and was direct competition with Strand. There were plenty of skiers and few manufacturers, therefore much work for all. They had two factories, one in St. Paul Minnesota and later added another in Laconia, NH. Their first season they sold over 4000 Pair of skis. Most of his buyers were expert ski jumpers and racers. The 'nipple' or point on the tip of the ski (also known as a Norwegian or square tip) was originally designed to prevent maple skis from splitting down the ski, but also served as purposeful as skins were easily applied, and braces attached to maintain camber. This became fashionable and was used on most skis of the era. Northland however produced skis into the 60's. A fine early example of Lund skis, with a low serial number of 0096 and complete leather Trailmaster bindings.
He was telling me lots of his stories.

It made me wonder just how much the experience has changed.

What we would recognise as "modern" gear came in during the sixties. Plastic skis with metal edges, step-in bindings and plastic boots. My contempories at school (bstards, I couldn't afford to go) used cable bindings. By the time I hit the slopes in 1973, we were well up to date lol.gif

Somewhere in the 80s a ski magazine wrote an article how you could make a twintip from a regular ski.

I 'made' my first twintip ski in 1991, but I wasn't able to use much as I was blasted from the halfpipe by territorial snowboarders.

But I'm interested in the real answer.

The Lund skis look very similar to the one's I have but mine are Michel's with Tulla patented bindings.

Did he seriously ski on those, first? They are 200cm and impossible to stear.

I also have a pair from the fifties. You could very well imagine skiing on those.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sanno:
But I'm interested in the real answer.
i can't find a good picture but it is the Olin Mark IV. (the big orange ones)if i remember correctly it was designed so that one could side slip better.
 Quote:
Originally posted by daver:
i can't find a good picture but it is the Olin Mark IV. (the big orange ones)if i remember correctly it was designed so that one could side slip better.
You're supposed to wait more than 1 day before you give the answer. I'd have won that one

There is a pair of Mark IVs with original bindings sitting at the ski rack at the bottom of Tsugaike gondola. They've been there for a few years.

I don't think my wife would like that very much. But i'll consider it.

lol.gif

But seriously, why are ski tips so lame? There is practically zero functionality in their current design. Why not make them more functional or at least interesting? With the loss of nipples, ski tips seem to have LOST a lot of both. Now, for durability, many ski makers attach big hunks of heavy metal to tips--and that's just to prevent delamination which really doesn't matter much anyway, and in some cases, the metal/rivets are so thick that you cannot attach skins to them.

The only recent ski tip "innovation" (which is a revival of a feature lost from skiis centuries ago anyway) is drilling a hole in them so you can convert them into a sled to pull an injured person out of the woods, haul gear, etc. THAT one didn't take much brains. Wonder what improvements could be made if designers actually thought about the tips of skiis.

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
You're supposed to wait more than 1 day before you give the answer. I'd have won that one
i suspected as much, hence i had to beat you to it.

From the original post:

"The 'nipple' or point on the tip of the ski (also known as a Norwegian or square tip) was originally designed to prevent maple skis from splitting down the ski, but also served as purposeful as skins were easily applied, and braces attached to maintain camber."

Quote:
Originally posted by rach:
This thread is taking an alarming turn. Chains and all.
Yeah skis can be a sort of medieval torture device, especially the old ones.
 Quote:
Wonder what improvements could be made if designers actually thought about the tips of skiis.
Spoke about this last night with some friends. We couldn't come up with anything (better than a drink holder or "lasers" of course).

Why not shape tips more like the bow of a boat? Certainly skiis cut through powder in a similar way to a boat cutting through water. That would probably improve their float and speed in the deeps. . .

Dynastar little big fats are shaped like the bow of a boat

They cut through snow much like a boat cuts through water

But I don't think they help in the performance at all

FT you want to add in on this seeing as they are your skis