yes, you can't really tell if you nailed the exposure on the backscreen without the histogram. the quality of the lcd isn't good enough. plenty of times i thought i'd nailed a shot only to find that it was slightly blurred (from the camera focusing elsewhere)when i checked it on my monitor.

to answer your question on needing data to dial in your exposure...

you have incident light and reflected light hitting your subject. The spot meter on your camera can only measure reflected light and can be fooled. read:

http://www.sekonic.co.jp/English/product/meter/tips.shtml

you can have a user error where you aim the camera at the wrong thing to expose. ie a sunset if you just shoot your composition you get the foreground a bit too dark and the sky blown out. if you expose off the foreground then recompose then the foreground is in focus but the sky is blown out. if you expose off the sky then recompose the sky is properly exposed and you get the sick colours..but your foreground is black

so, you set the exposure and do a trial shot, look at the histogram. check if anything is blown out or it's underexposed. adjust if necessary. shoot again. check. and so on. with digital you want to expose as much to the right as you can without blowing anything out. then in the computer use levels to even it out.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/expose-right.shtml

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the camera a lot, but here are a few annoyances

1) It's heavy, but heavy has it's rugged uses.

2) The Auto white balance setting aint that great. I set the modes for the situations I'm in myself.

3) 95% viewfinder image is the norm, but if this could be 100%, that'd be great. (D300)

4) 2.5 inch LCD again is the norm, but I'd also like a larger LCD

5) There is no IR or wireless remote contol unless you buy the GPS thing.

6) The cache aint big enough if you shoot raw (me, never). You'll need a fast card

7) The strap says D200. Get rid of it.

It's well worth the money and you'll have a great time learning it.

Thursday the horizon's crooked in the first shot (I know it's not your shot, I'm just trying to show off)

BP: what don't I like about the D200?

- I don't like how it makes my photos look brilliant and makes me feel like I'm pro enough to spend 30man on lenses and accessories. It was much easier being satisfied with disposable camera shots

- I don't like how the strap has a huge NIKON D200 logo in bright yellow. so I replaced it with an all-black one

- honestly though, it's big and expensive. On my recent trip to Canada & the US I just took a p & s and enjoyed the holiday, instead of worrying about my gear and thinking only about photos

lol.gif lol.gif Nice soub!

Thanks guys. The weight and the no remote thing are two of my minor concerns. I like the remote on the d70 and occasionally use it.

"- I don't like how it makes my photos look brilliant and makes me feel like I'm pro enough to spend 30man on lenses and accessories. It was much easier being satisfied with disposable camera shots"

lol.gif

Yes I did and happy I went for it instead of the 80. I am very much still learning but as there are pretty much no running costs with a digital I decided get "better" rather than save a bit of cash on the body. I'm glad I did now. Holding the 80 and 200 in the shop, I really wanted to go with the 200.