I understand there's a shuttle bus that goes from Nagano to the resorts. Trouble is, I won't be getting to Nagano (by Shinkansen) until after about 18:30 and I think the last bus is at 18:10.

Is there a web site for the shuttle bus timetable in English? If not, how much would a taxi cost? I've booked in to the Okushiga Kogen Hotel. Does anyone know if they would pick me up?

Thanks

Please consult Okushiga Kogen Hotel: 81-269-34-2034, at first.

The last bus for Okushiga Kogen leaves at 18:10 from Nagano sta, but it leaves at 20:00 on the days of March 3/10/17/24/31. See;

http://www.nagadenbus.co.jp/kosoku/kyu_tei/kyuko2005-2006.htm

When you want to pick up a taxi, you change trains at Nagano sta to Nagano Dentestu line for Yudanaka sta. (e.g. Nagano Lv.18:46 to Yudanaka Ar.19:38 with 1,130 yen) You can pick up a taxi at Yudanaka sta. The fare is apx.10,000 yen from Yudanaka to Okushiga Kogen Hotel. It requires add'l taxi fare after 22:00.

Nagano Stn to Ichinose (far end of the Shiga Plateau) costs about 16,000 yen by taxi. Worth doing if you have to, if you are in a hurry, or if you are with friends. Bear in mind that a taxi gets pretty crowded when you have 4 up plus skis, boards and gear...

If there are 3 of you, 16,000 yen's not that much each, and if you are maximising your time on the slopes as a consequence then its a good idea. Trouble is that the snow at Shiga will be crap from now on, so is it really worth travelling from Australia for? I'd go to Niseko if you are coming that far anyway...

Will it be much better in Niseko than Shiga Kogen? Shiga has a much larger area and more variation than Niseko.

(I suppose being Australian though Niseko is the one burnt into the mindset ;\) )

I'd wait for next season if I was making the trip all the way from Australia.