Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:
Saw some people at a few resorts kite skiing.
A few years back, on the side of the road outside resort boundaries, on our way up to Charlottes Pass (Oz snowfields) we met a middle-aged hippie type snowboarder with a kite attached to a simple climbing harness. He was extolling the virtues of using it in the BC, thereby avoiding resorts and crowds.

The kite wasn't huge, which allowed him to travel uphill without tangling it in trees.

Seemed to work okay, and would've been a bonus above the treeline to max-out a days lines. He admitted care in strong winds, but the size and design of spill-baffles made the thing work.

Skiiing UPHILL would be weird!
 Quote:
Originally posted by krotch:
I don't care who you are, there is never a need to take your 1 - 3 year old child with you while you snowboard or ski.
So you're the law now?

Quote:
Take them on the trip with you, sure. Strap them onto your back, no. If you disagree with me, please tell me why.
I don't think strapping a kid on ya back is a great idea, down right bloody dangerous on a snowboard, but on ski's I ve seen it done many times very safely.

Quote:
Involvement in activities? Like a 1 - 3 year old could do anything out there.
Yeah right, yet another person that underestimates kids and thinks that they are useless, Wouldn't suprise me if you were another of the many childless "experts".
blpic33433.jpg

Quote:
The baby won't care whether it's in a supermarket or on the slopes, it's not going to know the difference.
Maybe my son is gifted but he definitely knows the diff between a supermarket and the snow (even the beach too ;\) )
 Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
I love that photo too, but I bet it doesn't tell the whole story... ]
Indeed you are right! Nothing with kids end in smiles!
I let him have a go (only because he wouldn't get of his niece's board) Did 3 small runs ( each time getting a little higher) and the 4th time, daddy let him go abit early and it resulted in a faceplant! No damage, he now has a helmet and should be charging by the time he is 3! (all only because he wants to do it)
That day gave him so much joy, he just loves watching the vid of that day and gets pissed when only I go boarding.( & surfing)

very cool indosm!

What bugs me though is the INFANTS being carried by skiers (obviously boarders know better hehe). Accidents happen regardless of how much care is taken and the thought of being involved in a collision with one of these idiots terrifies me... I never want to be in a situation with an injured kid, whether the fault is mine or a parents. And also hate to think what would happen if they were to fall and lose their grip.... at least strap them on.

On last months big group trip with a million kids (well 12) & mums & dads, one of the dads was a kid carrier.

Totally great guy. 25yrs skiing experience, ex-downhill racer, 185cm tall & 120kg (a big japanese boy)and a smile a mile wide.

Time & time again he sped down with his 3yr old in arms. Everyone thought it was pretty cool, but I thought it was just straight out dumb. Maybe others did but didn't want to say.

The big IF being what if some out of control type swiped him or his supreme confidence faltered for that second???

Truly a loving father but some values far from mine.

This was confirmed later in the day when I saw the inside of his 8 seater landcruiser for the 1st time.

The middle seats were out for the trip and a futon on the spacious floor so the kids had plenty of play room in case they got bored.

Go figure :rolleyes: