• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got orange a few years back, mainly cos it was a North Face shell with powder belt for ¥12,000 on sale. But I also liked the idea of orange because if I had an accident or got lost in a blizzard I'd be easy to find.

Then I discovered that for those sneaking off into trees, the best colors for them seemed to be duller camouflage colors. I suddenly felt like I might stand out too much if I want to be sneaky.

Now it seems anything goes.

I say get the cheaper jacket and put the balance toward your fat skis, slow.

Quote:
Originally posted by sunrise:

Then I discovered that for those sneaking off into trees, the best colors for them seemed to be duller camouflage colors. I suddenly felt like I might stand out too much if I want to be sneaky.
I told about this to the shop guy and he said some patrol are happy to see someone getting out of rope and go offpiste because they have good execuse of skiing into trees! And also he said many skiers enjoy offpiste these days, chasing them or yelling at them is not really patrols job. I really enjoyed this conversation with him. So, I don't need to worry about the color of my jacket for sneaking off into trees.
That orange is called sunset/rush and it's not so bright. Maybe that green is more visible in the trees in winter.
That jacket doesn't have powder skirt. I don't know I need it or not...
Anyway, I almost decided to get Orange jacket thanks to you guys. \:\)

Hi Slow - I handled that jacket recently, plus another more expensive one by the same make. It was pretty decent, but having no powder skirt put me off. But they need not be such an issue, I attach to much value to them.

1. If you wear bid and brace then the skirt is less necessary.

2. If you wear a back backpack (which you should be) then again, the skirt is less necessary.

I would never say that a skirt is unnecessary though.

I have to say it: get bib and brace shell pants as your main bit of performance clothing. With good pants like that, the importance of shell functionality is somewhat diminished, so long as it is light, no insulation and has good arm pit venting. Also, any type of secure hood stowing system is important if you want to keep mounds of powder from getting into your neck and back area after a crash. The simple answer is don't crash, but remember, if you don't do at least two head stand cartwheels in the powder each time you ride, then you aren't trying hard enough ;\)

Oh yeah, get an orange jacket over olive green.

Thanks spud, it makes sense now. That's why Hoglofs jacket don't have powder skirt.

I ordered the orange jacket last night! I am looking forward to my jacket delivering to my office in a few days. Before that, I have to pay it today!

I find the powder skirt adds a bit of extra warmth on cold days (ie - stops cold air). I have an older Tiga bib & brace, it's a little too big and the ties are half broken but I still like it.