It’s been a while, but after having the knee reconstructed this past fall, I’ve been out of it for a bit. I just thought I’d share some ‘snow’ things that I’ve been up to here in Alaska. I haven’t been able to ski yet and probably won’t be able to this winter. However, one fantastic thing that has happened – I’ve gotten my gouty arthritis under control and feel better than I have in 7 years (if you suffer, just ask – I have some good info you won’t hear from a doctor).

This has been a very poor snow year in interior AK – I’m talking one of the worst ever. I’ve still gotten out to take some pictures with my new SLR digi cam and have been mapping a lot of the trails with my GPS. Anyway, it has been fun. (PS – it is -41C right now!)

I hope you guys and gals are having a great winter in Japan. I’ve been in close contact with a lot of friends over there who are filling me in. It doesn’t sound toooooo bad ;\)

We had a big warm-up early in the season and then it quit snowing. This is Harding Lake on New Years Day. A really big ice skating rink...

MtMoore_Peak_cloesup.jpg

After riding a horrible 2 miles along a trail not intended for snowmobiles, we rounde a corner and found this lake.

Trail_opening_on_Lake_1_-_looking_east.j

Luckily, we found a trapline trail on the other side of the lake so we didn't have to ride the same pathetic trail back out. The conditions weren't that much better, but the scenery was.

Sun_thru_black_spruce_-_begin_trail-bett

This was a different day and a bit colder. We were 30 miles out and it was -25F. We decided to turn around and head back when I looked over and saw the full moon rising (two weeks ago). It was so cold that I had a hard time using the camera so it is a bit out of focus.

Full_Moon_Rising.jpg

We didn't get back to my place until it was dark. The full moon was up over the frozen Salcha River and I really wanted a picture. By this time it was -35F. I got on picture off before the camera froze up, as well as my fingers. Damn it was cold!

Moon_Over_Salcha.jpg

I've been working my ass off to get in shape lately - mainly for some spring and summer hiking, but I'm going to shy away from the planks. Next year - it's on! \:D