BC riding and dying in 3 minutes under concrete hard snow

Hi Coyote, good article, in line with other articles put up on the forum by Montoya that I have read. Sobering indeed. Transceivers do not protect you from avies, just gives you a slightly better chance to be found (whether it is alive is another question). It is a bit like the fact that having a life insurance does not make you immortal.

I believe non avalanche risk BC areas do not exist. There is always a risk, it is a matter of relativity. Try to hook-up with responsible, knowledgeable people would be the best choice most likely. Good luck.

> We have known for many years that the more avalanche courses a person has taken, the more likely they are to be caught in and possibly killed by an avalanche

Interesting. So, ignorance is not only bliss, it's also immunity.

The top link was very interesting and helpful. The stuff about actual post-avalanche conditions was very good. However, you do get the feeling it is coming from a mountaineering page.

In "Freeriding in Avalanche Terrain", it clearly says that most slab avalanches occur on slopes that are 30 to 45 degrees in pitch and so can be avoided by avoiding such slopes. It then immediately states that this group also contains most of the best slopes for freeriding. Simple avoidance is too much of a sacrifice for many people, so that is why the imperfect science of terrain and snowpack analysis comes into play. If you're simply mountaineering, avoiding such slopes just means taking a different, probably longer route. There's no big difference in enjoyment between hiking up or down a 35 degree bit or a longer 20 degree bit.

BTW, it's looking pretty bleak for those university mountaineers who climbed Shakushi in Hakuba last week. Their mountaineering club have been saying they were hit by bad weather, but every forecast predicted the first storm to hit them last weekend before they set off on the fifth. Underestimate the weather at your peril.

Oceans 11. The stats certainly support what you're saying. It's often the experienced, and those that are highly trained that are caught. At the same time, I think that's because those with a lot of experience and training are more likely to be pushing it on really big lines in pretty severe terrain.

I think that stat left alone on this site, without any supporting explanation, would argue against doing an avo awareness course, and may even put someone off. Personally, I've learnt more than I can express from the basic avo course I did, the books I've read, and the online reading I've done. I triggered a few small slides before I did the course (and small ones can kill), but haven't since then because I make better choices. I was an idiot to ride where I used to ride, and lucky to get away with it sometimes.

I know the meaning behind your comment is 'courses give us enough to fully protect ourselves, so we should be ever diligent'. But I just want to clarify it so somebody new to riding (or the BC) doesn't take the wrong meaning from it.

Happy turns and safe riding.

Statistics can be used to prove any point you like.

A person who has taken more avalance cources are also more likely to spend more time in the mountains. The more time you spend out there, the more time you expose yourself to that "calculated risk" the article mentions

The more firefighters present at a fire, the more victims there are.

What does that prove?

ATB

tp

Too many skiers/snowboarders use their knowledge and perceived safety equipment to ski the margins rather than avoid risky areas.

Mr Wiggles is right about the mountaineering angle, but to excuse skiers on the grounds that their sport doesn't allow them as many avoidance options begs the question... is the perfect run worth the ultimate gamble? Do you want to die sliding?