I have a embarrassing problem in that I cannot get off the lift without falling flat on my face. I had a lesson with an instructor who quickly showed us how to skate on our board, then we practiced for about a minute and then it was onto the lift. I have been boarding once since the lesson and only managed not to fall once. Nobody else seems to have this problem. Does anyone have any suggestions/advice about getting off the lift? I really want to fix this prob quickly.

I know the feeling, it took me quite a while to get the hang of it. The best advice I can give is to try and keep your board as flat as possible and at the start just let the board take you where it wants(as long as it's not into a pole or someone else). Only turn if you absolutely have to.

One of the worst things you can do is fight the direction the board wants to go, this is especially true when it comes to rails/boxes later on.

Perhaps try going back to the beginner slope and practicing riding one-footed?

Good call, don't look at obstacles, and don't look down at your feet to check where your back foot is. Look at where you want to be, and let the board take you there!

The key is to get out there and keep doing it. One day you'll see someone else fall and realise you take getting off the lift for granted. But we've all been there.

Keep on riding, you'll get there.

I found the best way for me is twist my body and the board is flat with the slope. As the lift gets to the top ready to chuck you off i stand up and let the lift "push" you off, putting my back foot just in front of the rear binding. Then just let go and fine. This works for me but then I am strange.

Righhhhht. Replace board with skis and do the easy thing. Not for me.

We all have been beat up by the lifts in the beginning, some more than others but it is just a matter of sticking with it and everything will just come together.

If you have a board, and don't already have a stomppad, get one big enough for the size of your boot. place the stomp pad as close to your back foot binding as you can.

When I dismount, I put my backfoot up against the side of my backfoot binding.

I do what 3da5snow does. Course, I hate these Japanese chair lifts. They move nice and fast, but once you reach the top, it slows down. I like to use the momentum from the lift to launch me right out, but with these lifts, I constantly have to start kicking to move forward.

I hope Joetsu has some fast lifts or a sleep decline on the lift exit.

when you see that you are almost ready to get off, line you board up on the ground and point it straight of the lift. when you are able to stand, hold onto the lift and stand. stay holding on until you are balanced the use the lift to push off... stay balanced with your weight in the center of your board. once you get it that you dont fall, you can work on turning and aiming for good location to click in...

I'll echo what Maninjapan says - twist your body on the chair so you can get your board in line with the direction you're going to be shot off at. That'll keep the edges from catching when you start sliding. The other thing that might help is sitting to the left if your stance is goofy and to the right if regular - that'll reduce interference with your chair mates if you're not alone on the chair. When I was first learning, I tried ot sit on the far end, so I only had to worry about another rider on one side. That way if I fell, I didn't take everyone out.

Gambatte!