i ride an uninc 156 and my wife a feelgood 152, our friend is lending us an uninc 158 to bring also. will these lengths be ok for the powder and riding the park/groomers?

i hear a lot about having a board 10cms longer than your normal ride, but is it all hype? can we enjoy the pow and still ride everywhere without going too huge?

our plan is for me to ride the 158 and my wife the 156 and she then trade down for the park to the 56 and 52

Hi o11,

i am a size 28 (the boots that is)

i might be interested in the board (only).

but i can understand if you want to sell it with bindings and boots

So you are officially quitting snowboarding?

PS.

I have honestly earned the right to that avatar.

edit: it it this one?

http://www.6ftdrift.com/index.php?page=guide&year=2001&man=1&board=16

That's the brand and size, but not the year. I'm not entirely resigned to giving it all up but if I got a good offer for the whole rig I might sell it.

Looking at all that snow up north is making me feel quite sick. I'd be in my friggin element if I was back in Naggers...

banjobiwan, what is your height?

i'm 169cm and like using my 56 in the park/pipe, but prefer something 65' or longer for pow. but, it's all personal preference.

where will you be riding. the island of honshu (main island) is getting an unusually large of amount of snow so early in the season \:D

enjoy your trip!

It really depends on where you're riding, and if it snows. You might find yourself saving and buying the longer board only to find that you don't use it when you come here.

They say that if you use a shorter board in pow it makes you better since you have to work more. That's why I ride a 162 for park and a 142 for pow.....lol. j/k

You could always just set back your bindings on your 162 if there's a pow day. That's easier than lugging an extra board around.

It's really up to you and how you ride. Unless where you normally ride they recommend boards 10cm shorter than normal then I wouldn't bother with changing your board length. I ride the same lengths in Whistler & in Japan.

I would say that 156 or 158 won't change much but if you can handle the 158 in the park then maybe just bring that.

my board and bindings weighs in at 5 kgs, board on its own is about 3.5 to 4 kgs, so three boards two sets of bindings should come in about 14, boots are about 1 each so thats 18, plus two kilos for a bag then another case with all the outerwear and gear

watch out for those airlines. qantas can be totally anal about going overlimit, even with sporting allowances. apparently it helps if you call in advance & warn them that you're coming through with sporting goods?

also_ do they make swallowtails for small people? or should i just look at a longer board?i'm currently on a 138cm & i think in the powder a little extra length/skill would definitely be handy. tsondaboy gave me a 143cm which i'm hoping to wax up & try out over the new year, but am interested in the swallowtail style too.

australian airlines are great. the attendants are all qantas & yet soo much nicer. one asked how i was, i said i was tired, & she hooked me up with 3 seats in a row.

also gave me extra wagon wheels!

Quote:
Originally posted by banjobiwan:
we are flying with australian airlines, and hopefully we will be under 40 kgs between the two of us
Dont stress it too much Banjo.....you can always push it a few kgs each bag. I always load up my carry on backpack with small but heavy things as the never weigh it unless it "looks" heavy! ;\)